User Interface Designer for GTK+ and GNOME

Felipe Ureta

Hello,
I'm posting here since I cannot do it in the Ruby-Gnome 2 forum.
I'm new to ruby and ruby-Gnome2.I've written a small script for
extracting table names from a trace file from Microsoft Analizer. I
decided I wanted to learn how to do GUI's so at first I coded from
scratch a GUI but soon I got tired of doing it by hand. Then I
downloaded Glade and used it to make a gui pretty fast, but if I wan't
to modify the gui for any reasons I suspect that the
ruby-glade-create-template.rb will create a new file and I'll have to
move my code from one file to another. So here is the question, is there
an alternative to Glade for designing UI's?

btw, english is not my first language. sorry if I did not make myself
clear. :)

Greetings,
Felipe

Timothy Goddard

Felipe said:
Hello,
I'm posting here since I cannot do it in the Ruby-Gnome 2 forum.
I'm new to ruby and ruby-Gnome2.I've written a small script for
extracting table names from a trace file from Microsoft Analizer. I
decided I wanted to learn how to do GUI's so at first I coded from
scratch a GUI but soon I got tired of doing it by hand. Then I
downloaded Glade and used it to make a gui pretty fast, but if I wan't
to modify the gui for any reasons I suspect that the
ruby-glade-create-template.rb will create a new file and I'll have to
move my code from one file to another. So here is the question, is there
an alternative to Glade for designing UI's?

btw, english is not my first language. sorry if I did not make myself
clear. :)

Greetings,
Felipe

The idea behind glade is that you keep the interface separate from the
code. The ruby-glade-create-template.rb script creates a decent
starting point, but from then on you should develop the code and
interface together rather than generating one from the other. All you
need to do is add appropriate callbacks to your ruby scripts.

the_crazy88

Hi,

Glade can do anything you want it to and is fast too. If you want to
dynamiccaly load a table, this is perfectly possible. Just make sure
that you know the name of the parent widget, for any widgets that you
will add. Or create an empty table of 1x1 and resize it to required
length and fill it with childs.

I did this myself too. For some example code look at the audio ripper I
develop: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1284&release_id=6293. The
file rubyripper_gtk is what you need.
It loads the playlist dynamically for any cd that is loaded.

Regards,

crazy88

Felipe Ureta

Thanks for both of your replies. Crazy88, I'll look at the code of your
audio ripper.

Regards,
Felipe