Using a variable as a method name?

Phy Prabab

Hello,

I need a bit of help understanding how to use a
variable as a name for a method call. Forgive me
trying to explains this, I am new at all this. In the
code listed, I am tring to set the debugging level of
the Logger class, however, the variable in question is
not being sustituted prior to interpreting the method
call.

when "--debug"
if($DEBUG_LEVELS.include?(arg))
mylog.level = Logger::arg
^^^^^^^^^^^
else
puts "Debug level can be one of: DEBUG, INFO,
WARN, or ERROR"
dis_help
end

This causes Ruby to spit out that there is no method
called arg which is correct. So how do I get arg to
be substituted to the value rather than the var name?
I tried dereferencing and using the it within a string
(okay, a dumb idea). Any way, any help will be much
appreciated!

TIA!
Phy

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

Corey Haines

Try Logger.send(arg)

Sam Larbi

This causes Ruby to spit out that there is no method
called arg which is correct. So how do I get arg to
be substituted to the value rather than the var name?
I tried dereferencing and using the it within a string
(okay, a dumb idea). Any way, any help will be much
appreciated!

What is the /type/ of arg?

If it's a Proc, you might try arg.call().

If you're trying to do it via string, look into eval.

Jay Fields has some thoughts:
http://blog.jayfields.com/2006/07/ruby-eval-with-binding.html
http://blog.jayfields.com/2006/07/ruby-block-scope.html

I seem to remember seeing a better reference, only I can't recall by whom or
where.

Regards,
Sam

Arlen Cuss

Try Logger.send(arg)

In the case of Rails, `arg' should also be lower case. Is it Logger.warn or
warning?

Logger.send(arg.downcase)

Arlen