Using Javascript to find if Java applet has loaded

Jason Carlton

Specifically, Parachat. I'm showing an absolutely positioned element
when the user logs in, and I want to use Javascript to remove that
element when the applet fully loads. Or, if it hasn't loaded within a
certain amount of time, just redirect to an error page.

Has anyone found a way to determine when the applet has fully loaded?
Right now, I'm just using setTimeout to count to 30 seconds, which is
far from perfect.

TIA,

Jason

Richard Maher

Hi Jason,

Jason Carlton said:
Specifically, Parachat. I'm showing an absolutely positioned element
when the user logs in, and I want to use Javascript to remove that
element when the applet fully loads. Or, if it hasn't loaded within a
certain amount of time, just redirect to an error page.

Has anyone found a way to determine when the applet has fully loaded?
Right now, I'm just using setTimeout to count to 30 seconds, which is
far from perfect.

TIA,

myAppletRef = document.getElementById(appletId);

Should handle most of your requirements and not return until the applet is
there. Having said that, if possiblem it should be followed up by some
method-call back into the Applet. And if you're usung LiveConnect then make
sure the method you're calling is synchronized (and the init() is also
synchronized) as the init() has a nasty habbit of continuing on *after* it's
let the Javascript thread free :-(

Below is a more complete example.

Cheers Richard Maher

/**
* Copyright (c) Richard Maher. All rights reserved.
*
* Tier3Client class bridges Javascript and Applet
* functionality.
*/

function Tier3Client(application,
codeBase,
port,
maxBuf,
hostCharSet,
sslReqd,
guiToolkit,
idleTimeout,
verbosity)
{
if (arguments.length < 4) {
throw new Error("Insufficient arguments for Tier3Client");
}

if (!navigator.javaEnabled()) {
alert("You must enable Java Applets in your browser\n" +
"before you can successfully access this page");
throw new Error("Java Applets are not enabled for browser");
}

this.application = application;
this.codeBase = codeBase;
this.port = port;
this.maxBuf = maxBuf;

this.hostCharSet = (hostCharSet == undefined) ? "ISO-8859-1" :
hostCharSet;
this.sslReqd = (sslReqd == undefined) ? "N" :
sslReqd;
this.guiToolkit = (guiToolkit == undefined) ? Tier3Client.GUIAWT :
guiToolkit;
this.idleTimeout = (idleTimeout == undefined) ? 0 :
idleTimeout;
this.verbosity = (verbosity == undefined) ? Tier3Client.WARNING :
verbosity;

var appletId = "Tier3__" + application + "_Applet";

try {
var idTaken = document.getElementById(appletId);
}
catch (err) {};

if (idTaken != null) {
throw new Error("Tier3 Client already registered for " +
this.application);
return;
}

var archiveName = "tier3Client.jar";
var className = "tier3Client/Tier3Application";

var appletParams = [{"name":"archive",
"value":archiveName },
{"name":"codebase",
"value":codeBase },
{"name":"code",
"value":className },
{"name":"java_version",
":"1.6+" },
{"name":"mayscript",
lue":"true" },
{"name":"scriptable",
ue":"true" },
{"name":"codebase_lookup",
"false" },
{"name":"APPLICATION",
"value":application },
{"name":"PORT",
"value":port },
{"name":"MAXBUF",
"value":maxBuf },
{"name":"HOSTCHARSET",
"value":this.hostCharSet},
{"name":"SSLREQD",
"value":this.sslReqd },
{"name":"GUITOOLKIT",
"value":this.guiToolkit },
{"name":"IDLETIMEOUT",
"value":this.idleTimeout},
{"name":"VERBOSITY",
"value":this.verbosity }];
var startParam = 0;

var objectTag = "<object classid=";

if (/Internet Explorer/.test(navigator.appName)) {
objectTag = objectTag +
'"clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93" ';
} else {
objectTag = objectTag +
'"java:' + className + '.class" type="application/x-java-applet"
' +
'archive="' + codeBase + archiveName + '" ';
startParam = 1;
}

objectTag = objectTag + ' width= "0" height= "0" id="' + appletId +
'">';

for (i=startParam; i<appletParams.length; i++){
objectTag = objectTag + '<param name ="' + appletParams.name +
'" ' +
'value ="' + appletParams.value +
'">';
}

objectTag = objectTag + "</object>";

var appletDiv = document.createElement("div");
appletDiv.innerHTML = objectTag;

try {
document.body.appendChild(appletDiv);
this.chan = document.getElementById(appletId);
}
catch(err) {
alert("Tier3 unable to load applet for " + this.application +
": -\n" + err.description);
this.chan = null;
};

if (this.chan == null) {
throw new Error("Tier3 was unable to initialize the applet for " +
this.application);
} else {
try {
if (!this.chan.isAuthorized()) {
throw new Error("Tier3 User Authentication unsuccessful for
" + this.application);
catch(err) {
this.chan.setAttribute("id",null);
this.chan = null;
throw new Error("Tier3 unable to load applet for " +
this.application + ": -\n" + err.description);

Tier3Client.applications[this.application] = this;

return this;
}

Tier3Client.FACPREFIX = "T3$";
Tier3Client.MAJVERS = 1;
Tier3Client.MINVERS = 0;
Tier3Client.GUIAWT = 1;
Tier3Client.DEBUG = 0;
Tier3Client.INFO = 1;
Tier3Client.WARNING = 2;
Tier3Client.ERROR = 3;
Tier3Client.FATAL = 4;

Tier3Client.errorPage = "Tier3Error.html";
Tier3Client.logoffPage = "Tier3Logoff.html";

Tier3Client.launder =
function(jsobject) {
return jsobject;
};

Tier3Client.prototype = {

send:
function(msgBody, callback, async)
{
if (arguments.length < 2) {
throw new Error("Insufficient arguments for send(msgBody,
callback)");
}

if (typeof callback != "function") {
throw new Error("The 'callback' parameter must be a
function");
}

var noWait = true;
if (arguments.length > 2) {
if (typeof async != "boolean") {
throw new Error("The 'async' parameter must be a
boolean");
}
noWait = async;
}

var chan = this.chan;
var callbackArgs = new Array();
var responseCnt = 0;
var i = 0;

var msgCandidate =
{
msgSlotId : -1,
msgSeqNum : -1,
chan : chan,
callback : callback,
callbackArgs : callbackArgs,

dispatcher :
function(responseMsg,
msgSlotId,
msgSeqNum)
{
this.responseCnt++;
this.msgSlotId = msgSlotId;
this.msgSeqNum = msgSeqNum;
callbackArgs[0] = responseMsg;

try {
callback.apply(this, callbackArgs);
}
catch (err) {
throw new Error("Error calling callback
routine: -\n" + err.description);
}
},

getMsgSeqNum :
function() {
return this.msgSeqNum;
},

getResponseCnt:
function() {
return this.responseCnt;
},

rendezvous :
function() {
return chan.rendezvous();
}

};

for (i=3; i<arguments.length; i++) {
callbackArgs[i - 2] = arguments;
}

return chan.send(msgCandidate, msgBody, noWait);
},

appendConsoleMsg:
function(msg)
{