Using PyExcelerator

tkpmep

I have just installed PyExcelerator, and now want to use it to read
Excel spreadsheets with a variable number of rows and columns and with
multiple sheets. Unfortunately, no documentation seems to accompany
PyExcelerator. Does anyone know of a good source of documentations
and/or examples? The author provides some examples, but these tend to
involve writing data into spreadsheets one cell at a time.

Thanks in advance

Thomas Philips

John Machin

I have just installed PyExcelerator, and now want to use it to read
Excel spreadsheets with a variable number of rows and columns and with
multiple sheets. Unfortunately, no documentation seems to accompany
PyExcelerator. Does anyone know of a good source of documentations
and/or examples? The author provides some examples, but these tend to
involve writing data into spreadsheets one cell at a time.

Thomas,
Look at pyExcelerator's tools/xls2*.py for examples
or
Look at the xlrd package (which doesn't *write* xls files, but does read
them tolerably well -- even if I do say so myself -- and has documentation).
http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/xlrd

What do you mean by "with a variable number of rows and columns"?

Cheers,
John

rbsharp

I would agree with the author, pyExcelerator is good at writing Excel
but xlrd is better at reading. I was recently forced to use them in
tandem because pyExcelerator had problems reading an Excel sheet and
xlrd had no problems.

greetings,

Richard Sharp