"Valiadte Document" button

Ant

Hi,
I'm wondering if anybody can tell me what the Validate document button is
used for & how to use it. When I deliberately put some tag in that shouldn't
be there, (such as an extra body tag) & use this buton, nothing happens.

Can anybody tell me what it's used for?

Many thanks for your help
Ant

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?QW50?= wrote on 28 nov 2005 in
I'm wondering if anybody can tell me what the Validate document button
is used for & how to use it. When I deliberately put some tag in that
shouldn't be there, (such as an extra body tag) & use this buton,
nothing happens.

Where is that button?

On the front of your ASP-enabled-server, next to the reset button?

btw: ASP knows of no documents whatsoever.

Ant

Hi,
It's part of the HTML editor button group. You might have to check its group
to see it. It seems to think whatever its checking is a 'document' as in
DOCTYPE.

Regards
Ant

Bob Barrows [MVP]

You're missing Evertjian's point: this is not an ASP issue. You should find
a forum or newsgroup devoted to whatever browser you are using that has this
Validate button.

Bob Barrows

Ant

Hi,
It's not in a browser; it's in the Visual studio 2003 IDE when creating an
ASP project. I think it's an ASP issue.

regards
Ant

Bob Barrows [MVP]

No, it's a "Visual Studio 2003" issue. The newsgroups for Visual Studio.Net
all have "vsnet" in their names.

In fact, there was no way for you to know it, but, this newsgroup is devoted
to "classic" ASP questions, so, since Visual Studio 2003 is used for ASP.Net
projects, not ASP, which is how "classic" ASP is referred to, your question
is doubly offtopic. :)

For ASP.Net questions, go to microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.

You're not the first one to ask this question. See
http://groups.google.com/group/micr..."Visual+Studio"&rnum=1&hl=en#078422f57ffeb167

I tried searching Help myself, but had no luck finding anything about it.
Maybe someone in the vsnet groups will have a clue.
Bob Barrows

Jeff Cochran

I'm wondering if anybody can tell me what the Validate document button is
used for & how to use it. When I deliberately put some tag in that shouldn't
be there, (such as an extra body tag) & use this buton, nothing happens.

Can anybody tell me what it's used for?

ASP has no Validate Document Button. Tell us what software you're
using when you see this button.

Jeff

Ant

ok, may as well keep this going...

I'm using Visual Studio version 2003. It is included when you choose an ASP
NET Web applcation. It is visible in HTML mode, but not in design mode of an
aspx page.It is part of the HTML editor button group.You must check this
group in add or remove buttons/customize to see this group of buttons.

As far as I can see it does naught. It's not that important but it might
prove to be useful.

Thanks for your interest Jeff
Ant

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Ant said:
ok, Thanks very much for your directions (& patience!)

Regards
Ant
I just got this from a fellow MVP (Frank Boyne):

************************
Go to Tool | Options | HTML/XML | HTML Specific
Uncheck the "Enable HTML validation" box
Click OK

Open an HTML page, go to the HTML source editor tab and alter one of the
meta elements by changing the attribute 'name' to 'namex'. Notice that the
invalid attribute 'namex' isn't marked with a wavy red underscore (because
we turned off validation).

Click on the Validate Document button. Now the invalid attribute is marked
and an entry appears in the Task List window.

Correct the attribute name by changing 'namex' back to 'name'. Notice that
the wavy red underscore is still present and that the Task List item still
exists.

Click on the Validate Document button. The underscore goes away and the
Task list item is removed.

I suppose if you had a really large really complex HTML document you might
want to turn off the automatic HTML validation and use the validate button?

Bob Barrows