Validation of viewstate MAC failed

PaulR

Hi, I'm getting the following error:

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web
Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same
validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a
cluster.

It's an ASP.NET 2.0 web app running on a load balanced webfarm.

I have set the following in the the web.config file on all servers in the
farm (I am aware of the security implications):
<pages validateRequest="false" enableEventValidation="false"
viewStateEncryptionMode ="Never" />

Now, the problem does not occur on machines running XP, but it happens on
machines running Windows NT (but not ALL machines running NT, just some of
them!).

The browser is IE 6.0.2800.1106C0, 128 bit cipher, SP1; Q822925

It is 100% reproducable fro, the machine(s) with the problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this?