Very extrange behavior of ASP.NET

MNB

Hi there!

We are near the ending stage of an ASP.NET + IIS project, and started doing
stress testing on the servers. We find ourselves with a very strange
behavior, that can’t figure out since several days ago. Hitting the websites
with 500 user clicks every 1 second, in ANY of the interior pages (those are
not the default one), takes the ASP.NET process to about 80% of CPU usage. If
instead we just go to the root, the CPU doesn’t moves for the aspnet_wp.

Extranged by this behavior, we started removing things, trying to isolate
the problem inside our app. We couldn’t figure it out that way, so we end up
by creating a simple ASP.NET application from scratch. It only has two pages:

Default.aspx
Folder/Page.aspx

Both pages only contains a few labels, saying “hello†or something (no DB
access at all, etc.). The behavior it’s the same: if we do the stress testing
trageting the root “http://localhost/simplesiteâ€, the CPU doesn’t moves. If I
go to “http://localhost/simplesite/folder/page.aspxâ€, the CPU goes to about
80% or more, depending on the user load.

And then, something even MORE weird. If I direct the testings to
“http://localhost/simplesiteâ€, the CPU doesn’t moves (as I was saying
before). BUT, If I go to “http://localhost/simplesite/default.aspx†(this is,
writing explicitly “default.aspxâ€), the CPU goes to 80% again.

We’ve done this test many times, and in different servers: both with IIS5
and IIS6. We are using the NET2.0 SP1. We are testing with “debug=falseâ€, and
also disabled all non-required http modules. Different people watched and did
the test by themselves, without finding any possible reasons.

Have you seen this behavior before? Is there anything else that we could try?

Thanks a lot.
Mariano