VIM 7 Ruby

aidy

Hi,

I have installed the VIM 7 editor on Win32 and typed ':help ruby'. I
receive this message

'The Ruby interface only works when Vim was compiled with the |+ruby|
feature.'

I have looked on Ruby.org (http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org/) and I am
told that the Ruby configuration files should be pre-packed with VIM 7.

Not so sure what to do now. Any ideas?

Thanks

Aidy

projecktzero

I think that the +ruby feature is only if you want to write VIM scripts
in Ruby. The Ruby syntax highlighting should still work when you edit
Ruby programs/scripts because the ruby.vim plug comes with VIM7.

aidy

The highlighing and indentation are fine, but according to this:
(http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimRubySupport), I should be able to
run any Ruby command through VIM via the ruby plugins.

I have also entered these parameters in the _vimrc file

set nocompatible " We're running Vim, not Vi!
syntax on " Enable syntax highlighting
filetype on " Enable filetype detection
filetype indent on " Enable filetype-specific indenting
filetype plugin on " Enable filetype-specific plugins

Cheers

Aidy

slunky

_/ Tim Hammerquist wrote \_
Could you point me toward the section on that page that
discusses Vim executing Ruby commands? I can't seem to find any
mention of "+ruby" or "if_ruby", nor any samples of any case
where Vim is *executing* Ruby.

I'm interested in that too. My editor of choice is vim, and I would love
to use the built-in Ruby interpretor. I DO have it compiled in, I just
don't know how to use it.

aidy

Hi Tim,
Could you point me toward the section on that page that discusses Vim executing Ruby commands?

At the top of the link (http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimRubySupport),
we have this:

"If you install Vim 7.x, the following Ruby support is enabled out of
the box:

syntax highlighting for Ruby and eRuby
automatic, smart indenting for Ruby and eRuby
compiler plugins for running Ruby, eRuby and Test::Unit
IntelliSense-like autocompletion (Vim 7 only) "

As has been mentioned if we enter

':help ruby'

Then 'Ctrl ]' on the 'ruby-commands' tag we get:

':rub[y] {cmd} Execute Ruby command {cmd}'

This indicates to me that we could go:

':ruby puts "OK"'

But I receive 'command not available in this version.'

I think it may have something to do with the runtimepath. Has anyone
got Ruby working within VIM?

I was thinking of trying Emacs.

Aidy

aidy

Hi Tim

As has been mentioned if we enter
':help ruby'
Then 'Ctrl ]' on the 'ruby-commands' tag we get:
':rub[y] {cmd} Execute Ruby command {cmd}'
This indicates to me that we could go:
':ruby puts "OK"'
But I receive 'command not available in this version.'
The :ruby command requires +ruby support compiled in. Check
your :ver output and look for the '+ruby'. It needs to be
a '+'. If you see a '+dyn/ruby', you must also have
a compatible ruby library installed on your system. (I haven't
had much luck personally with dynamic language interface support
in Vim. YMMV.)

Thanks for the command ':ver' I have a '-ruby'.
Please do. You should always experiment with your choices
whenever possible. But why would you mention this in c.l.ruby?

I understand that Emacs has a Ruby mode.

Cheers

Aidy

aidy

Hi Tim,

I am using the self-executable download
'ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim70.exe' and for some reason
gVim has '+ruby\dyn' while Vim has -ruby when I execute :ver.

Is it possible to use ruby in the console interface?

Aidy