Visual C++ Run-time error with rubyw.exe

Matt Mower

Hi folks,

I hope someone can help me with this. I'm using the latest one-click
installer of Ruby 1.8.2 on Windows XP-SP1 and am having problems with
rubyw (i.e. the headless ruby interpreter).

I have no problems with ruby.exe and for a simple test (e.g. writing a
line of text to a file) rubyw works okay, however for applications
which make use of fxruby I get the following error reported:

|---------------------------
|---------------------------
|Runtime Error!
|
|Program: c:\ruby\bin\rubyw.exe
|
|This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
|Please contact the application's support team for more information.

On advice from Curt Hibbs I deleted all previous fxruby installations
and made sure that I had the latest fxruby installed, i.e. 1.2.3
(ms-win32).

Whenever I run an app it opens the window, maybe paints the contents,
and then crashes.

Can anyone help me fix this?

Regards,

Matt

Nick

Make sure you don't have any stray 'puts' in your code for debugging -
that usually crashed rubyw when I was using it with wxRuby.

Nick

Matt Mower

Make sure you don't have any stray 'puts' in your code for debugging -
that usually crashed rubyw when I was using it with wxRuby.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying. At the moment I am trying to get the recently
release 'fxri' to run under rubyw without errors. I've tried to
identify all sites of "puts" or "pp" and remove them and I still get
the runtime error.

Is there anyone running the most recent One-Click installer for
Windows who *is* able to use rubyw with fxruby apps?

Regards,

Matt

Nick

Well, since FreeRIDE is a FXRuby app, I would say yes.

Sadly, the only way I know how to debug something like this is to run
ruby under the visual studio debugger (with the debug symbols for fxruby
loaded in) and try to replicate the crash. Sorry.

Nick

Matt Mower

Hi NIck,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, since FreeRIDE is a FXRuby app, I would say yes.

Now this is interesting.

Using:

"C:\Program Files\FreeRIDE\freeruby-win\bin\rubyw.exe" -rubygems freeride.rb

I can open FreeRIDE and use it fine, no crash. However when I shut
the application down it hangs (but without an error dialog) and I have
to kill the process.

Puzzlingly I couldn't seem to get "fxri" to start under the FreeRIDE
installed version of Rubyw, nor could I get freeride.rb to start using
the one-click rubyw. In neither case did a window open.

I note also that both the one-click installed version of Ruby and the
FreeRIDE 0.9.3 installed versions of ruby.exe and rubyw.exe are
exactly the same according to a binary file compare.
Sadly, the only way I know how to debug something like this is to run
ruby under the visual studio debugger (with the debug symbols for fxruby
loaded in) and try to replicate the crash. Sorry.

Do you have a set of steps I could follow to do this myself? I have
Visual Studio 2003 but I'm not sure how to go about running ruby under
the VS debugger or importing 3rd party debug symbols.

I'm sure I'd be in a better position if I at least understood where
this was crashing.

Many thanks,

Matt

Matt Mower

Hi folks,

I hope someone can help me with this. I'm using the latest one-click
installer of Ruby 1.8.2 on Windows XP-SP1 and am having problems with
rubyw (i.e. the headless ruby interpreter).

I just updated to FXRuby 1.2.4 and that hasn't altered the problem. I
get exactly the same crash :-(

Shashank Date

Hi Matt,

Matt said:
I just updated to FXRuby 1.2.4 and that hasn't altered the problem. I
get exactly the same crash :-(

I will like to work with you on this ... how does your weekend look like?

-- shanko