visual studio 2010 question

Ralf Haring

After running into the error "Setup script exited with error: Unable
to find vcvarsall.bat" when trying to use easy_install / setuptools a
little digging showed that the MS compiler files in distutils only
support up to Studio 2008. Does anyone know if there is a timetable
for when Studio 2010 will be supported?

I am using python 2.6.5, but web searching seemed to show that 2.7 or
3.X didn't support it yet either.

-Ralf Haring

David Cournapeau

After running into the error "Setup script exited with error: Unable
to find vcvarsall.bat" when trying to use easy_install / setuptools a
little digging showed that the MS compiler files in distutils only
support up to Studio 2008. Does anyone know if there is a timetable
for when Studio 2010 will be supported?

I am using python 2.6.5, but web searching seemed to show that 2.7 or
3.X didn't support it yet either.

You should use VS 2008 - the lack of distutils support is only the
first of a long list of issues if you want to use another compiler to
build python extensions. Unless you really know what you are doing,
you are better off with VS 2008,

cheers,

David

Diez B. Roggisch

David Cournapeau said:
You should use VS 2008 - the lack of distutils support is only the
first of a long list of issues if you want to use another compiler to
build python extensions. Unless you really know what you are doing,
you are better off with VS 2008,

Forgive my ignorance, but AFAIK mingw can be used to build extensions
for standard python distributions. After all, it's C we're talking here,
not C++. So I have difficulties imagining VS2010 is that much of a
problem. So - which problems you expect?

Diez

Robert Kern

Forgive my ignorance, but AFAIK mingw can be used to build extensions
for standard python distributions. After all, it's C we're talking here,
not C++. So I have difficulties imagining VS2010 is that much of a
problem. So - which problems you expect?

VS2010 uses a different C runtime DLL than VS2008 and Python 2.6, and I believe
this cannot be changed. This will cause errors for a variety of Python extension
modules. mingw can be retargeted to link against one of several different C
runtimes, including the one VS2008 uses.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

David Cournapeau

Forgive my ignorance, but AFAIK mingw can be used to build extensions
for standard python distributions.

Yes, mingw may be used - I assumed that the OP was interesting in MS compilers.
After all, it's C we're talking here,
not C++. So I have difficulties imagining VS2010 is that much of a
problem. So - which problems you expect?

The ones described by Robert,

David