Web App Tutorial leveraging relational database

mahalie

I'm new to .NET and trying to develop a web application to search for
and display employee information from a database based on their skills
or education or staff level. The database is highly normalized, each
record I want to display will have serveral fields that have an
associated subset of data to display with them. I know how to do this
the old ASP way but I can't find any tutorials that address this
problem specifically. Can someone point me in the right direction (VB
or C# both okay)?

I've done walkthrough for various data controls and read too many
GridView tutorials. It seems like most tutorials are for total
beginners with both .NET and SQL, so they either use selet * statements
and stick to one table or even using stored procedures they don't
explain methods of displaying relational datasets. At least not the
one's I've seen. I'm sure there's some good ones out there but I can't
find them!

(The 'Classifieds Site Starter Kit' looks very applicable, but it's in
beta and doesn't have step-by-step documentation, Media Library Starter
Kit looks nice too, but its a windows application -not web - perhaps
that doesn't matter)

mahalie

I don't know how I missed it before but It looks like I was on the
right track, the asp.net page has a DAL tutorial along with a bunch or
reporting, master/detail and related tutorials.
http://asp.net/learn/dataaccess/tutorial01vb.aspx?tabid=63

Nonetheless, if you know of another goods source, hit me! Thanks.

I've done walkthrough for various data controls and read too many
GridView tutorials. It seems like most tutorials are for total
beginners with both .NET and SQL, so they either use selet * statements
and stick to one table or even using stored procedures they don't
explain methods of displaying relational datasets. At least not the
one's I've seen. I'm sure there's some good ones out there but I can't
find them!
</snip>