looking for web form tutorial

mahalie

I've been searching in forums, at asp.net, MSDN and 4GuysFromRolla but
cannot locate exactly what I'm looking for - hoping someone here can
suggest:

How to develop a one page web app that initially presents a form to
collect user input, write input to access database, and displays
confirmation message on success?

I do this all the time in old-school ASP, as we frequently survey our
staff on our intranet - I'm trying to be good and use .net 2.0 for
everything now. Right now I have a web page with a form made up of a
bunch of textboxes and validation controls, not sure where to go from
here. This seems like a frequent and basic need - comment and contact
forms on websites, for instance.

I'm almost done with .NET in 24 hours, and have done the ASP.NET ADO
tutorials, creating a DAL and the whole nine yards. Everything I've
learned so far utilizes datagrids. Is customizing a details view the
usual way?

Any input apprectiated. Thanks!

~Mahalie

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Create form
Add panel for form
Add panel for confirmation
Make both panels Visible=false by default
On initial load or fail validation, show panel 1 (form)
On succesful validation, show panel 2

Since you know how to write to the database, you are golden. Run validation,
if true (valid) then insert.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

mahalie

Thanks for the input. I ended up using a FormView and Panels. I had to
piece together a lot of instructions from a lot of sources, so I'm
still wondering if there is already a tutorial out there that does
this...otherwise I'm thinking about writing one!

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I'm still wondering if there is already a tutorial out there that does
this...otherwise I'm thinking about writing one!

Please do...and post the URL when you've published it.