Web Hosting and ASP.NET

Guest

Hi!

Currently I'm a trained ASP.NET developer, however, most of my experience lays with actually having total control on the server i'm working with.

Recently I have been working on a project hosted by a standard webhosting company. The problem comes when I try to get to the aspx page that I developed and deployed to the server. It gives me a plain error stating error in '/' and to update my web.config file.

Needless to say I have updated my web.config file and set <customErrors mode="off"/>. I've also contacted tech support at the hosting company and they haven't been of any help.

Any ideas?

Luke Smith

Is the web host running the same version of .net which you use on your
machine?
if you go to the project properties | Common Properties | General then
select
the Supported Runtimes you can select which versions your applications
support. Enabling both 1.0 and 1.1 versions of .net.

this happened to me once when i couldnt figure out what was wrong.

luke
www.luke-smith.co.uk

Andrew J Durstewitz said:
Hi!

Currently I'm a trained ASP.NET developer, however, most of my experience
lays with actually having total control on the server i'm working with.
Recently I have been working on a project hosted by a standard webhosting
company. The problem comes when I try to get to the aspx page that I
developed and deployed to the server. It gives me a plain error stating
error in '/' and to update my web.config file.
Needless to say I have updated my web.config file and set <customErrors
mode="off"/>. I've also contacted tech support at the hosting company and
they haven't been of any help.

.NETgeek

Simple! Your folder (where web.config is placed) is not an
"application directory". You have to ask your hosting provider to set
the folder as an "application directory", or do it yourself via web
hosting control panel.

Which provider do you use? I use www.dotnetpark.com and are very
satisfied. BTW. At www.dotnetpark.com you can create subdomains for
your website and each subdomain folder is an "application directory"
automatically.