Web Parts - Incremental Display?

rowe_newsgroups

On our local intranet site it has been suggested to have customizable
content on the start page. Most of the content already exists as user
controls, so I'm all set there, the problem is now the loading times.
Many of the to-be webparts perform long running (7 to 10 seconds)
database queries which will prevent the page from displaying until
they are finished.

So my question is, is there a quick way to load the page first, and
then load the content of the webparts? Sort of like pageflakes.com
does?

Thanks In Advance!

Seth Rowe

bruce barker

you have two options:

1) use ajax to load the parts.
2) use iframes

either approach will require some rewrite of the page.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

rowe_newsgroups

you have two options:

1) use ajax to load the parts.
2) use iframes

either approach will require some rewrite of the page.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

I've been looking at AJAX, the problem is I don't know how to get it
to not prevent the page from loading. I'm experimenting with the
DynamicPopulateExtender, but since I'm using through a UserControl and
not a Page I can't seem to get it working.

Also could you elaborate a bit on the iframes approach? I'm not sure
how to use them for this?

Thanks,

Seth Rowe

rowe_newsgroups

I've been looking at AJAX, the problem is I don't know how to get it
to not prevent the page from loading. I'm experimenting with the
DynamicPopulateExtender, but since I'm using through a UserControl and
not a Page I can't seem to get it working.

Also could you elaborate a bit on the iframes approach? I'm not sure
how to use them for this?

Thanks,

Seth Rowe

I finally settled on a solution that I deem "acceptable." I decided to
use the timer/update panel pair and have the timer fire off my server
side code 1 millisecond after the page loads. This code does the long
running db queries and loads the results into the usercontrol.

One more question though (if anyones still monitoring this thread), is
that the webparts seem to load synchronously, the first fires it's
timer and loads. After it's finished the second one fire's it's event
and loads, etc. Is there any way to get these to truly run
asynchronously? As in have all the timer fire the tick event, and all
start populating at the same time?

Thanks,

Seth Rowe