Web Reference and DNS Alias

Francois Guerin

I have two web services running on a Windows 2003 Server machine. One of the web service needs to reference the second one. Initialy, the reference URL was "localhost", but for logging purposes, we have created an alias on the DNS to point to a virtual web site on the same server. Since then, if I want to add or update a web reference to that service using the alias, no information about the the services implemented are shown. I tried browsing with IE and I get the same probem.

Result using localhost or the machine name in IE:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <discovery xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/disco/"><contractRef ref="http://servername.dom.com/appcommonwebs/Classes/clsAPP_EmployeesWebS.asmx?wsdl" docRef="http://servername.dom.com/appcommonwebs/Classes/clsAPP_EmployeesWebS.asmx" xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/disco/scl/" /><contractRef ref="http://servername.dom.com/appcommonwebs/Classes/clsAPP_MailWebS.asmx?wsdl" docRef="http://servername.dom.com/appcommonwebs/Classes/clsAPP_MailWebS.asmx" xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/disco/scl/" /><contractRef ref="http://servername.dom.com/appcommonwebs/Classes/clsAPP_SettingsWebS.asmx?wsdl" docRef="http://servername.dom.com/appcommonwebs/Classes/clsAPP_SettingsWebS.asmx" xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/disco/scl/" /></discovery>

Result using the alias in IE:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><discovery xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/disco/" />

Why is that?