Web Service Encoding

AlexItelman

I have the following problem:

Backgroud:

I'm sending an HTTP request to a method in an ASP.NET Web Service (on
a Windows Server)
from a java class running on a UNIX server, using the HttpClient and
PostMethod objects of Appache. The web method I'm calling gets a
string.

The Problem:

The string parameter contains Hebrew characters - I get them wrong in
the Web Service, I get all question marks ("?????").

What I tried:

1. Setting the Request Encoding in IIS to utf-16, or utf-8, or
iso-8895-8.
2. Setting the encoding in the <?xml> tag in the request that I send
to utf-16, or utf-8, or iso...
3. In the java class, I read the text to send from a file, so I tried
to save the file first in different encoding.
4. Copying the file first to Windows (using FTP), opening in notepad
(where I see the Hebrew characters), saving it (in various encodings),
copying back to the UNIX (using FTP), and running the java with the
new file. (BTW, the save in notepad added two bytes to the beginning
of the file, that are not visible in notepad).

P.S. When I changed the Request Encoding in IIS to utf-16, browsed the
WS in IE, and clicked my method, it gave me an "Method Not Found"
error.

Your Ideas?