Web service URL handling

sven.braem

Folks, strange issue... We have a web service installed in our dev
environment and it works fine. Installed it on 2 servers for testing
and again fine. Now on production it works on 1 server and fails on
an other one!

The URL http://server/service/service.asmx works fine, it lists the
functions and you can click on them to fill in parameters to execute
the functions.
Executing the function itself doesn't work. Then the return is a 404
for the URL http://server/service/service.asmx/function

After quite a lot of digging on the net, it ain't the utility URLScan
from Ms because that is not installed.
It ain't a problem with POST or GET as both are defined in the
web.config of the service.

I'm sort of desperate on this...
I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with the installation of the
webservice as we don't have to change anything after running the
installer and it works on all other servers.
I'm assuming the .net runtime is installed correctly for the IIS
because it can list the functions when you go to the .asmx page

I am guessing that the IIS is not passing the URL to the aspnet
process but how can this be checked?
Any other insights or things to try are more than welcome.

tia

John Saunders [MVP]

Folks, strange issue... We have a web service installed in our dev
environment and it works fine. Installed it on 2 servers for testing
and again fine. Now on production it works on 1 server and fails on
an other one!

The URL http://server/service/service.asmx works fine, it lists the
functions and you can click on them to fill in parameters to execute
the functions.
Executing the function itself doesn't work. Then the return is a 404
for the URL http://server/service/service.asmx/function

Just to be clear: are you saying that when you use the browser, fill in the
parameters and submit them to the web service it works, but when you call
the service from the client it does not work?

sven.braem

Just to be clear: are you saying that when you use the browser, fill in the
parameters and submit them to the web service it works, but when you call
the service from the client it does not work?

Nope, that doesn't work either.

The only thing that works is listing of the functions and from that
list clicking on the functions to provide parameters. Submitting that
input doesn't work, accessing the function directly doesn't work (it
gives "Missing parameters" on the other machines iso 404).

John Saunders [MVP]

Nope, that doesn't work either.

The only thing that works is listing of the functions and from that
list clicking on the functions to provide parameters. Submitting that
input doesn't work, accessing the function directly doesn't work (it
gives "Missing parameters" on the other machines iso 404).

You should try accessing your service either from a client application, or
through soapUI (www.soapUI.org).

sven.braem

The problem was found. We knew it had something to do with IIS
configuration not properly passing .asmx url's to .net

Ex. on our other servers http://<server>/<dotnetapp>/randompagenametest.asmx
would generate a 404 error page generated by .net while on our
production server it would give a 404 error page generated by IIS

so urls with invalid .asmx references were not passed to .net. double
checking IIS configuration showed that for our web service, under
application mapping, for .asmx the check box "Check that file exists"
was checked. So the reason that http://server/service/service.asmx/function
didn't work was because it would look for the directory service.asmx
and/or the file function. None of which exists of course so a 404.

For .net the checkbox should not be set by default but apparantly they
did it on the default web site of which the web service inherited the
settings.