webrick and ruby

ahoward

does anyone know of a development effort being made to support fastcgi in
webrick? any interest in the idea out there?

i'm thinking that a fastcgi enabled webrick, coupled with an object prevalence
strategy as the database backend could be a really cool pure ruby cross
platform web application development environment...

ruby + webrick + fastcgi + amrita + object prevalence

-a
====================================
| Ara Howard
| NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory
| Information and Technology Services
| Data Systems Group
| R/FST 325 Broadway
| Boulder, CO 80305-3328
| Email: (e-mail address removed)
| Phone: 303-497-7238
| Fax: 303-497-7259
| ~ > ruby -e 'p(%.\x2d\x29..intern)'
====================================

Phil Tomson

does anyone know of a development effort being made to support fastcgi in
webrick? any interest in the idea out there?

i'm thinking that a fastcgi enabled webrick, coupled with an object prevalence
strategy as the database backend could be a really cool pure ruby cross
platform web application development environment...

ruby + webrick + fastcgi + amrita + object prevalence

How about including borges as well?

PHil

ahoward

How about including borges as well?

sounds good - can you explain it to me? ;-)

-a
====================================
| Ara Howard
| NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory
| Information and Technology Services
| Data Systems Group
| R/FST 325 Broadway
| Boulder, CO 80305-3328
| Email: (e-mail address removed)
| Phone: 303-497-7238
| Fax: 303-497-7259
| ~ > ruby -e 'p(%.\x2d\x29..intern)'
====================================

Eric Hodel

--ABTtc+pdwF7KHXCz
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Phil Tomson wrote:
=20
=20
sounds good - can you explain it to me? ;-)

Well, once you add Borges, you'll not need amrita or fastcgi...

Borges is a web app framework based on HTTP state persistence using
call/cc. Avi Bryant gave a talk on it at last year's RubyConf,
with a bare-bones demo. I'll be giving a talk on it at this year's
RubyConf, demoing a much more fully featured Borges. You can get
it out of the RAA.

I'll take this as a reminder to myself to assemble a private email
convesation of the inner workings of Borges into a document.

--=20
Eric Hodel - (e-mail address removed) - http://segment7.net
All messages signed with fingerprint:
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--ABTtc+pdwF7KHXCz

--ABTtc+pdwF7KHXCz--

Robert Feldt

Eric Hodel said:
Well, once you add Borges, you'll not need amrita or fastcgi...
But then your code will not be separated from the skin/presentation, eh?
This seems to me to be one of the strengths of the amrita approach.
Not that I'm an expert in any of them (just checked them out) but from
a cursory look at borges the tight coupling between logic and presentation
stands out as annoying. Is this something that is being adressed or is
the tight coupling a "feature"?

More q's on borges:

Can it not be a performance issue that you regenerate the html
from scratch in each component? At least that was my impression
from the few borges examples? I guess you can avoid that by using
a different (template-based) renderer though. But this is probably
premature optimization on my part anyway... ;)

Do you have any larger examples showing the strength of the
borges approach? It is theoretically appealing and sort of
feels right but since its a different framework
than the predominant ones (sessions) I think you need to
really write it on our noses for us to get it :). Does
it give real advantages in real use? What are the downsides? Problematic
to disallow the back-button in situations where it shouldn't be allowed?

Why don't we take some more complex web app (phpbb2?) and rewrite
it in borges w. webrick? We can even "borrow" their themes and templates so its really "only" the code/php that we need to redo in
ruby.

Regards,

Robert

Eric Hodel

--PPYy/fEw/8QCHSq3
Eric Hodel <[email protected]> skrev den Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:19:52 -07= 00:
But then your code will not be separated from the skin/presentation, eh?
This seems to me to be one of the strengths of the amrita approach.
Not that I'm an expert in any of them (just checked them out) but from
a cursory look at borges the tight coupling between logic and presentation
stands out as annoying. Is this something that is being adressed or is
the tight coupling a "feature"?

Borges promotes heavy use of CSS, and tight coupling is a "feature". In
Borges, you write web apps more like GUI apps. Instead of spitting out
HTML, you connect Components (or widgets). It is much different
than traditional web app development.
More q's on borges:
=20
Can it not be a performance issue that you regenerate the html
from scratch in each component? At least that was my impression
from the few borges examples? I guess you can avoid that by using
a different (template-based) renderer though. But this is probably
premature optimization on my part anyway... ;)

Yes, it may be a performance hit, but its hard to say whether or not it
will be dwarfed by all the behind-the-scenes magic with Continuations.

Seaside2 has no template system, and nobody there really complains
(well, there's one guy who's writing a template based system). A
majority of the Seaside2 developers do not use templating systems, but
there is a facility for sticking pre-generated chunks of HTML into the
code.
Do you have any larger examples showing the strength of the
borges approach? It is theoretically appealing and sort of
feels right but since its a different framework
than the predominant ones (sessions)

There's Webplayer, but it isn't as clean an app as it should be. It
does show the general idea and power of the approach. Webplayer is a
browser-controlled mp3 player with rudimentary playlist support.
I think you need to
really write it on our noses for us to get it :). Does
it give real advantages in real use? What are the downsides? Problematic
to disallow the back-button in situations where it shouldn't be allowed?

The major advantage is that sessions are transparent. You only
need to identify which data needs its state held. The downside is that
it will be slower and larger (memory footprint) than a CGI-based
solution. Code may be smaller and simpler.

The back button never needs to be disabled, but backtracking can be
forbidden for things like shopping carts (not yet implemented).
Why don't we take some more complex web app (phpbb2?) and rewrite
it in borges w. webrick? We can even "borrow" their themes and templates = so=20
its really "only" the code/php that we need to redo in
ruby.

Wait until after RubyConf, I'll have a much better framework written by
then.

--=20
Eric Hodel - (e-mail address removed) - http://segment7.net
All messages signed with fingerprint:
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--PPYy/fEw/8QCHSq3

--PPYy/fEw/8QCHSq3--

Robert Feldt

Eric Hodel said:
Borges promotes heavy use of CSS, and tight coupling is a "feature". In
Borges, you write web apps more like GUI apps. Instead of spitting out
HTML, you connect Components (or widgets). It is much different
than traditional web app development.
Sounds great. Looking forward to larger examples.
Wait until after RubyConf, I'll have a much better framework written by
then.
Framework as in "borges will by then be a better/more mature framework for this"
or as in "I will have written a framework like phpbb2 in borges"?

Anyway, please share as soon as you have something to show. I need
to set up a community site and am contemplating wether to use phpbb2
or do something myself with webrick + amrita or borges.

Despite the plethora of web app frameworks out there I think
there is an opportunity for Ruby here. Most of what is out
there is overly complex. I kind of like what you can do
with plone (plone.org) but since its based on zope I find it
counterintuitive in several areas and not easy to extend.

ruby + borges + madeleine

could be a killer here! Samizdat might also be important
although its hard to know until there are some example
sites using it.

Regards and thanks for your efforts,

/Robert

I think there is a rea

Eric Hodel

--SnV5plBeK2Ge1I9g
Eric Hodel <[email protected]> skrev den Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:42:46 -07= 00:
Framework as in "borges will by then be a better/more mature framework fo= r=20
this"
or as in "I will have written a framework like phpbb2 in borges"?

The former.
Anyway, please share as soon as you have something to show. I need
to set up a community site and am contemplating wether to use phpbb2
or do something myself with webrick + amrita or borges.

If its time critical, by all means use phpbb2 or something else, I'm not
certain how well Borges will scale. The one thing I do know is
writing a Borges app is much easier and faster than a CGI app.

--=20
Eric Hodel - (e-mail address removed) - http://segment7.net
All messages signed with fingerprint:
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--SnV5plBeK2Ge1I9g

--SnV5plBeK2Ge1I9g--