Week Selector

Joe Kovac

Hi!

Our customer wants to see his data week by week. So, how could I let him
select a week the most easy way?
Anyone already solved this challenge?

Proposal (1):
Use a calendar to select the week: But which one? Which calendar
supports week selection?

Proposal (2):
Drop down list for Year and Month, then another drop down for the week
of the selected year and month combination. Not really intuitive...

Proposal (3):
Your turn ;-)

Regards,

Joe

Petar Atanasov

Joe said:
Hi!

Our customer wants to see his data week by week. So, how could I let him
select a week the most easy way?
Anyone already solved this challenge?

Proposal (1):
Use a calendar to select the week: But which one? Which calendar
supports week selection?

Proposal (2):
Drop down list for Year and Month, then another drop down for the week
of the selected year and month combination. Not really intuitive...

Proposal (3):
Your turn ;-)

Regards,

Joe

http://www.java2s.com/Code/ASP/Asp-Control/SelectaweekVBnet.htm

Regards,
Petar Atanasov
http://a-wake.net

Petar Atanasov

Joe said:
Thanks for the fast reply.

Now I just need a way to disable the day selection plus a way to make
this a pop-up calendar.

Hi, Joe

The calendar control wouldn't give you a way to show only week selection
(refer to: SelectionMode enum), further more I don't think it's a good
idea to present it to the user even if so - let the user see which days
actually selects ;)

May be a better approach would be to try to build up your logic around
MyCal.SelectedDates.Count - if there are less than seven days selected,
than - cancel user input, else process it...

Regards,
Petar Atanasov
http://a-wake.net

Joe Kovac

Petar said:
Hi, Joe

The calendar control wouldn't give you a way to show only week selection
(refer to: SelectionMode enum), further more I don't think it's a good
idea to present it to the user even if so - let the user see which days
actually selects ;)

May be a better approach would be to try to build up your logic around
MyCal.SelectedDates.Count - if there are less than seven days selected,
than - cancel user input, else process it...

Hi Petar,

Yes, I see it the same way. Just instead of canceling a single day
selection I would "calculate" the week if the user selected a day only.

I just hope I can make the calender popup-able now using asp:panel or
like that..

Regards,

Joe

Petar Atanasov

Joe said:
Hi Petar,

Yes, I see it the same way. Just instead of canceling a single day
selection I would "calculate" the week if the user selected a day only.

I just hope I can make the calender popup-able now using asp:panel or
like that..

Regards,

Joe

Hmmm "calculating" is double "sided knife" e.g. you can take the current
week (the one that current day belongs to), the week before the actual
date and finally the week after the current day as well as in all date
ranges [except in the first case] you can include, or exclude the
current day :)

I still think it would be better not to fall in details, but simply
cancel user input and show some message (like: "please select a week")...

Anyway - do whatever you actually think is necessary... I've got some
rambling thoughts to share...

Regards,
Petar Atanasov
http://a-wake.net

Joe Kovac

Petar said:
Joe said:
Hi Petar,

Yes, I see it the same way. Just instead of canceling a single day
selection I would "calculate" the week if the user selected a day only.

I just hope I can make the calender popup-able now using asp:panel or
like that..

Regards,

Joe

Hmmm "calculating" is double "sided knife" e.g. you can take the current
week (the one that current day belongs to), the week before the actual
date and finally the week after the current day as well as in all date
ranges [except in the first case] you can include, or exclude the
current day :)

Well, in this case I would just take the week the selected day is in.
For me a week is the days between Monday and Sunday.
I still think it would be better not to fall in details, but simply
cancel user input and show some message (like: "please select a week")...

Right. Perfection is often not that good... at least not that efficient.
Anyway - do whatever you actually think is necessary... I've got some
rambling thoughts to share...

That's what newsgroups are for, aren't they? Thanks therefor!

I am still thinking weather to use the asp:Calender with postback or a
javascript calendar. Which one would be easier to realize pop up?

Petar Atanasov

Joe said:
Petar said:
Joe said:
Petar Atanasov wrote:

Joe Kovac wrote:
Petar Atanasov wrote:
Joe Kovac wrote:
[...]

I would vote for the asp:calendar - you'll don't have to check if
javascript is enabled in order to use it, while there are enough
techniques to make them both pop-up-able ;)

Regards,
Petar Atanasov
http://a-wake.net

Joe Kovac

I would vote for the asp:calendar - you'll don't have to check if
javascript is enabled in order to use it, while there are enough
techniques to make them both pop-up-able ;)

Using AJAX javascript will not be a problem. Therefor I used a
js-calendar now, so to avoid PostBacks.