    It is 26MB for me.

    I am trying to trim my Python install for good reason.

    Thanks for any info!

    cjblaine, Apr 19, 2011

  2. cjblaine

    Terry Reedy Guest

    It allows you to run the test suite. Some people like to run it when
    they install. Or they may run a module test if they have a problem with
    a specific module or edit the Python code. Otherwise, delete it.
    11 mb on windows, which is still sizable in some contexts.

    Terry Reedy, Apr 19, 2011

  3. Terry answered what it is for. Personally, I also once used some functions from
    test.test_support in my own code. There's some handy stuff in there. Also, the venerable
    Pystone lives in test.pystone.

    However, I don't think the test/* stuff is actually considered to be part of the
    standard library? I believe it becomes available on many Linux installations only after
    installing the python-dev package (or similar). So my guess is that you are safe to
    delete it if you really need the disk space.

    -Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Apr 19, 2011