What breaks if I remove lib/python2.7/test/* ?

cjblaine

What breaks if I remove lib/python2.7/test/* ? What purpose does it serve?

It is 26MB for me.

I am trying to trim my Python install for good reason.

Thanks for any info!

Terry Reedy

What breaks if I remove lib/python2.7/test/* ? What purpose does it serve?

It allows you to run the test suite. Some people like to run it when
they install. Or they may run a module test if they have a problem with
a specific module or edit the Python code. Otherwise, delete it.
It is 26MB for me.

11 mb on windows, which is still sizable in some contexts.

Irmen de Jong

What breaks if I remove lib/python2.7/test/* ? What purpose does it serve?

It is 26MB for me.

I am trying to trim my Python install for good reason.

Thanks for any info!

Terry answered what it is for. Personally, I also once used some functions from
test.test_support in my own code. There's some handy stuff in there. Also, the venerable
Pystone lives in test.pystone.

However, I don't think the test/* stuff is actually considered to be part of the
standard library? I believe it becomes available on many Linux installations only after
installing the python-dev package (or similar). So my guess is that you are safe to
delete it if you really need the disk space.

-Irmen