what do most languages call a name-value pairing?

Bush is a Fascist

Hi all,

What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

Did Knuth invent a handy term for such a thing?

Thanks.
333

Roedy Green

A tuple, or 2-tuple in this case, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuple)?

that just means an n-tuple, fitting pairs or triples of anything. It
is correct, but does not imply name and value as he requested. )

How about:

named values

keyword parameters as opposed to positional parameters (JCL
terminology)

properties (CSS terminology)

keyword=value

cavies (gnuage whimsy)

NC

Bush said:
What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

A symbol table?
Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

Well, some names (functions, for example) don't have corresponding
values; they correspond to code snippets...

Cheers,
NC

George Cherry

Bush is a Fascist said:
Hi all,

What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

Mapping.
Map.
Relation.
Function.
Table.
Dictionary.
???????????

Roedy Green

Mapping.
Map.
Relation.
Function.
Table.
Dictionary.

the Forth term is "vocabulary"

It depend on what the values are. Dictionary implies a definition.
Map implies a correspondence between two sets.
Function implies something that is computed.

What do the SQL people call them?

Bush is a Fascist

Mapping.
Map.
Relation.
Function.
Table.
Dictionary.

Oh jeez, now I see why I should have *never* sold my
discrete math book back to the college.

Hmm...anybody know of a discrete math cheet sheet
anywhere on the Web?

Virgil Green

Bush said:
Hi all,

What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

Did Knuth invent a handy term for such a thing?

Thanks.
333

I would suggest ... "map"

Joe Smith

Roedy said:
the Forth term is "vocabulary"

It depend on what the values are. Dictionary implies a definition.

They're called dictionaries in PostScript.
The value is defined.
-Joe

Jeff Schwab

John said:
If I remember correctly in Smalltalk it's called a Pair.

The std::pair ("standard pair") template is a common way to represent
this concept in C++, too.

Casey Hawthorne

Are these synonymous:
- name-value pairing
- associative array
- hash
- dictionary

Thomas G. Marshall

Casey Hawthorne coughed up:
Are these synonymous:
- name-value pairing
- associative array
- hash
- dictionary

Not quite. A hash is a technique to facilitate the indexing into a
name-value pairing, associative array, or a dictionary.