What is a "fresher"?

Mike Schilling

Peter said:
[...]
Try deciphering some recent posts written by young American using
the
words, dope, bad, wicked, evil, sick and cool using just the Oxford
dictionary.

When I see words like that in a programming newsgroup, I just ignore
the person writing them. None of those words have a precise
technical
meaning, and anyone trying to use them to communicate about
technical
programming topics is an idiot.

Goto's are evil, and anyone who wants to introduce them into Java is
sick. Some of the things you can do with generiucs are cool, while
others are evil. And you're being a dope.

Tom Anderson

Actually, since generics and annotations came into Java, I've been
discovering how dope they are and what wicked cool things you can do
with them. It's simply sick how useful EJBs became since they went all,
like, annotative.

For shizzle, my nizzle.

tom

markspace

Mike said:
And a 20-post thread arguing about whether the original post is
inappropriate is such a useful contribution to the group. Let's have
more of them!

Oh. I only paid for the five minute argument though.

Roedy Green

Some events surrounding 1st year may get labelled with "frosh", but
that's about it.

To add to the quaintess of it all, frosh is highly associated with
frog in Canada. On googling I discovered this is because in middle
English, frosh meant frog.

"frosh" is a derogatory term. It a has a slight implication of party
animals.

If I had my life to live several times over, I would want to spend one
of the them studying slang and accents, trying to discover how
variants move through space and time.

It is a great party game to guess which parts of the world people have
lived just by the words they use and the way they say them. It seems
like a parlour trick.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"You can have quality software, or you can have pointer arithmetic; but you cannot have both at the same time."
~ Bertrand Meyer (born: 1950 age: 59) 1989, creator of design by contract and the Eiffel language.