What is a simulated HTTP requests?

Guest

Hi,

I've read onhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.hosting.iprocessho...
that "ASP.NET developers who want to preload ASP.NET Web applications
should use the simulated HTTP requests in IIS 7.0 combined with the
Application_Start method in the Global.asax file."

I would like to know how to simulate a request or what is a simulated
request.

Thanks.

Regards,
Marvin

I'm not sure why that article refers to IIS7 only. Because
implementing the IProcessHostPreloadClient interface could be used to
automatically start the web application on IIS7.5 without any
"simulated HTTP requests". There is an article by Scott Guthrie about
this new feature, see
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...-applications-vs-2010-and-net-4-0-series.aspx

Generally, simulated request is a script to send fake requests to the
application to periodically “wake it up”. You can do it yourself using
VBS, or using the code provided on IIS.net web site
http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/688/use-the-iis-application-warm-up-module/

Again, for IIS7.5 there is a module which can be installed in IIS
Admin panel
http://www.iis.net/expand/ApplicationWarmUp

Hope this helps

Gregory A. Beamer

I'm not sure why that article refers to IIS7 only. Because
implementing the IProcessHostPreloadClient interface could be used to
automatically start the web application on IIS7.5 without any
"simulated HTTP requests". There is an article by Scott Guthrie about
this new feature, see
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2009/09/15/auto-start-asp-net-ap
plications-vs-2010-and-net-4-0-series.aspx

In addition, while it is not "automagic" like this, you can use the
precompile.axd file on versions of IIS where this is not supported,provided
you are on a new enough version of ASP.NET (2.0+), that is.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Marvin,
Hi,

I've read onhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.hosting.iprocessho...
that "ASP.NET developers who want to preload ASP.NET Web applications
should use the simulated HTTP requests in IIS 7.0 combined with the
Application_Start method in the Global.asax file."

I would like to know how to simulate a request or what is a simulated
request.

Thanks.

Regards,
Marvin

Alexey is correct. This documentations is scheduled to be updated soon.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).