What is ISDST in POSIX::MKTIME?

Yash

The syntax for mktime is:
mktime(sec, min, hour, mday, mon, year, wday = 0, yday = 0, isdst = 0)

Can someone tell me what the isdst parameter is used for?

In our script, we would like to get the number of seconds since 1970 1
Jan 0:0:0 GMT. Does this parameter help in automatically determining
whether daylight savings is on?

Thanks

John J. Trammell

The syntax for mktime is:
mktime(sec, min, hour, mday, mon, year, wday = 0, yday = 0, isdst = 0)

Can someone tell me what the isdst parameter is used for?

From 'perldoc POSIX':

... Consult your system's "mktime()" manpage for details
about these and the other arguments.

Tom Regner

Yash said:
The syntax for mktime is:
mktime(sec, min, hour, mday, mon, year, wday = 0, yday = 0, isdst = 0)

Can someone tell me what the isdst parameter is used for?

In our script, we would like to get the number of seconds since 1970 1
Jan 0:0:0 GMT. Does this parameter help in automatically determining
whether daylight savings is on?

Thanks

tom@...> man mktime
[...]
tm_isdst
A flag that indicates whether daylight saving time is in
effect at the time described. The value is positive if daylight saving
time is in effect, zero if it is
not, and negative if the information is not available.
[...]

tom@...> uname -s
Linux

hth,
Tom

Ben Morrow

Quoth (e-mail address removed) (Yash):
The syntax for mktime is:
mktime(sec, min, hour, mday, mon, year, wday = 0, yday = 0, isdst = 0)

Can someone tell me what the isdst parameter is used for?

In our script, we would like to get the number of seconds since 1970 1
Jan 0:0:0 GMT. Does this parameter help in automatically determining
whether daylight savings is on?

From mktime(3):
| tm_isdst
| A flag that indicates whether daylight saving time is in effect at
| the time described. The value is positive if daylight saving time is
| in effect, zero if it is not, and negative if the information is not
| available.

Ben