what is the datatype of SqlException.State?

Anton

the documentation is confusing me a bit here, it says it is of datatype
byte, but it can have the value "no data found"?

from the documentation:
"Use the State property to get a numeric error code from SQL Server
representing an error, warning or "no data found" message"

any ideas?

Patrice

"represents". It means this numeric value can *symbolize* a "no data found"
state (likely using the numeric 0 value), not that it is this string message
itself...

Use the object browser or just intellisense to see the type...