WHAT IS THIS?

Captain

Just bought a new PC with Windows XP Media Edition. I have two entries in
the "Add or Remove Programs" section of Control Panel, but there is no
corresponding item in the Start Menu. One entry says: Python 2.2.3 and the
other says: Python 2.2 pywin32 extensions (build203).. The size for each is
29.28mb. I gather Python is a programming language, but I am wondering why
it was installed on my PC, and is it safe to remove it? I have no intention
of learning the program. Thanks in advance

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Just bought a new PC with Windows XP Media Edition. […] I gather
Python is a programming language, but I am wondering why it was
installed on my PC, and is it safe to remove it? I have no intention of
learning the program. Thanks in advance

If it came with the computer it's most probably not safe to remove it
because chances are that it's used by some program or script that is
pre-installed by the vendor of the machine. At least HP, Compaq and
IBM/Lenovo are known to do this on some computers:

http://www.python.org/doc/faq/installed/
http://effbot.org/pyfaq/installed-why-is-python-installed-on-my-machine.htm

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Laurent Pointal

Captain said:
Just bought a new PC with Windows XP Media Edition. I have two entries in
the "Add or Remove Programs" section of Control Panel, but there is no
corresponding item in the Start Menu. One entry says: Python 2.2.3 and
the
other says: Python 2.2 pywin32 extensions (build203).. The size for each
is
29.28mb. I gather Python is a programming language, but I am wondering
why
it was installed on my PC, and is it safe to remove it? I have no
intention
of learning the program. Thanks in advance

DONT USE UPPERCASE TITLE (thanks)

Maybe your PC assembler installed some software which need Python... so,
before removing it, ask the vendor.

You may too search for *.py *.pyc *.pyo files in directories other than
Python, so identify software which may need Python.
And you may searchfor extra-libraries in the lib/site-packages subdirectory
of Python directory.

A+

Grant Edwards

Just bought a new PC with Windows XP Media Edition. I have two entries in
the "Add or Remove Programs" section of Control Panel, but there is no
corresponding item in the Start Menu. One entry says: Python 2.2.3 and the
other says: Python 2.2 pywin32 extensions (build203).. The size for each is
29.28mb. I gather Python is a programming language, but I am wondering why
it was installed on my PC, and is it safe to remove it?

Don't ask us, ask whoever installed it. Many of the big PC
vendors (e.g. IBM/lenovo, Dell, HP/Compaq) install all sorts of
software on PCs they ship. About half of them install programs
that are written in Python.
I have no intention of learning the program.

It's required to run some of the programs that came on your PC.

James Stroud

Captain said:
Just bought a new PC with Windows XP Media Edition. I have two entries in
the "Add or Remove Programs" section of Control Panel, but there is no
corresponding item in the Start Menu. One entry says: Python 2.2.3 and the
other says: Python 2.2 pywin32 extensions (build203).. The size for each is
29.28mb. I gather Python is a programming language, but I am wondering why
it was installed on my PC, and is it safe to remove it? I have no intention
of learning the program. Thanks in advance

Better would be to remove windows xp and get another operating system.

James

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Better would be to remove windows xp and get another operating system.

Yeah XP is sooo ooold, the OP should install Vista. Or did you mean a
real OS instead of just another one? ;-)

SCNR,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

James Stroud

Marc said:
Yeah XP is sooo ooold, the OP should install Vista. Or did you mean a
real OS instead of just another one? ;-)

SCNR,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

I meant a real OS.