What's the best FREE or cheap Javascript editor?

Alex

I'm looking to move beyond Notepad for coding advanced JavaScript. I
need hints because I'm still learning the finer points of this
scripting language.

I tried Eclipse JSEditor and after about 4 hours of downloading Java
this, JRE that, screwing my system's environment variables, paths,
numerous reboots found it to be a complete pain in the ass. It looks
like you need to have a firm grasp of J2SE to work this tool and I
don't.

So... what's everyone using out there that's inexpensive?

thanks.

jac

Michiel van der Blonk

I usually use TextPad, but I must say it's still a basic editor, not a
programming environment. In fact I am also still looking for an editor
that has:
- js code completion
- proper js syntax checks

The only one I found was Antechnius javascript editor, but it was a bit
of a disappointment because syntax checks didn't work as they should.

The Microsoft Script Editor is the only one that comes close to being a
development environment, but unfortunately it's not free, and gave me a
very hard time installing.

Michiel

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Alex said:
So... what's everyone using out there that's inexpensive?

I have been using MyEclipse's JavaScript Editor[1] plugin (30-day trial,
then it nags) for a while, but since they have still not managed to support
prototypes in the Outline View in version 4.1.1GA, I have upgraded to
Java 1.5 and happily use JSEclipse[2] (freeware) for ECMAScript coding
(with Eclipse 3.2M3) now. I also use Harish Kataria's JavaScript Editor[3]
plugin for its code formatting feature.

HTH

PointedEars
___________
[1] <URL:http://myeclipseide.com/>
[2] <URL:http://www.interaktonline.com/Products/Eclipse/JSEclipse/>
[3] <URL:http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~hkataria/>
<URL:http://pointedears.de/devel/org.hkataria.jsedit_2.0.0.zip>

jussij

I'm looking to move beyond Notepad for coding advanced
JavaScript. I need hints because I'm still learning the
finer points of this scripting language.

Take a look at the Zeus for Windows IDE:

http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html
Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

It has features like syntax highlighting, code folding,
smart indenting, ftp/sftp editing, project/workspace
management, integrated version control etc.

You can even write Zeus macros using JavaScript.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows

Ian Rastall

I have upgraded to Java 1.5 and happily use JSEclipse[2]
(freeware) for ECMAScript coding (with Eclipse 3.2M3)

Is there a way to download the latest version of JSEclipse without
registering? I saw a download page for 1.2 that wasn't affiliated
with InterAkt (or whoever they are), but saw on the InterAkt page
that there's a 1.5. This looks like a great program, but honestly, I
don't want to give these people my email address, and create some
password I have to write down somewhere.

Ian

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Ian said:
[...] Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn [wrote]:
I have upgraded to Java 1.5 and happily use JSEclipse[2]
(freeware) for ECMAScript coding (with Eclipse 3.2M3)

Is there a way to download the latest version of JSEclipse without
registering? I saw a download page for 1.2 that wasn't affiliated
with InterAkt (or whoever they are), but saw on the InterAkt page
that there's a 1.5. This looks like a great program, but honestly, I
don't want to give these people my email address, and create some
password I have to write down somewhere.

No. You can always use a temporary address of course. But I see nothing
wrong in letting people know that I like their stuff so that they continue
their efforts. If you provide a consistent address, you can (but need not
to) subscribe to a newsletter, so you get informed when a new version of
JSEclipse (or any other InterAkt product, at your choice) is released.
(With a temporary address you will have to register a new address, register
and activate a new account once that happens -- that does not strike me as
being reasonable.)

HTH

PointedEars (not affiliated to InterAkt in any way)

Alex

Thanks Richard. I downloaded, installed it, it works and it's an
impressive environment. I don't understand all the .NET stuff that it's
pushing on me but it's nice for Javascript.

MelodeeFaj
Top