What's wrong with my connection string to the Access db?

Aries

I have a connection string like this, anyone know how can I fix it?

<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.OleDb" %>
<!-- #include file = "linkx.inc" -->
<script language="C#" runat="server">

protected void Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
{
string mysql;
OleDbConnection myConnection = new OleDbConnection();
myConnection.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=c:\\inetpub\\wwwroot\\break.mdb;";

mysql = "SELECT Date, Build, Count(*) as num FROM BVTbreak GROUP BY Date,
Build where status = 5 order by Build DESC;";
OleDbDataAdapter myCommand = OleDbDataAdapter(mysql, myConnection);

DataSet ds = new DataSet();
myCommand.Fill(ds, "Waive");

MyDataGrid.DataSource=ds.Tables["Waive"].DefaultView;
MyDataGrid.DataBind();
}

I got the compilation error:

Line 18: OleDbAdapter myCommand = OleDbAdapter(mysql, myConnection);

Charles A. Lackman

Hello, I do not know much about C or C# but i do know VB. Here is how it
would be done in vb and you can modify it to work in the language you are
using.

Page Load Event

Dim AConnectionString as string = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=c:\inetpub\wwwroot\break.mdb;"

**** There is a better place for the database*******

Dim ADataset as New Dataset

Dim ADataAdapter as new oledb.DataAdapter("SELECT Date, Build, Count(*) as
num FROM BVTbreak GROUP BY Date, Build where status = 5 order by Build
DESC;", AConnectionString)

ADataAdapter.Fill(ADataset, "Waive")

MyDataGrid.DataSource=ADataset.Tables("Waive").DefaultView

MyDataGrid.DataBind()

**** You don't need a connection object but it is better to use a command
object and parameters for your querries.

Chuck

--

ÁÙ§Ú¥»¦ â
Bad.

Kevin Spencer

What exactly is "the compilation error?"

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Aries said:
[...]

Sorry that I forgot to put down. Here is the error message

to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name
'OleDbDataAdapter' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or
an assembly reference?)

--

ÁÙ§Ú¥»¦â
Forever Bad.

Aries said:
[...]

Ah, thanks Aries! I should have spotted the problem before, but your reply
helped me to spot it this time. Your line of code reads:

OleDbDataAdapter myCommand = OleDbDataAdapter(mysql, myConnection);

It SHOULD read:

OleDbDataAdapter myCommand = new OleDbDataAdapter(mysql, myConnection);

You may not have known to use the new operator, as the C# documentation in
the .Net SDK lists the constructor method of a class as simply the class
name, while VB.Net's documentation specifically calls this function New.
However, every class constructor method must be called using the new
operator.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"Aries" <a> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[...]

Forever
Bad.

Aries

It works. Thank you very much Kevin.