Where does "make altinstall" put stuff?

John Nagle

I know that one is supposed to use "make altinstall" to install
versions of Python that won't be the "primary" version. But what
directory names does it use for packages and other support files?
Is this documented somewhere?

I want to make sure that no part of the existing Python installation
on Fedora Core is overwritten by an "altinstall" of 2.6.

John Nagle

James Mills

I know that one is supposed to use "make altinstall" to install
versions of Python that won't be the "primary" version.  But what
directory names does it use for packages and other support files?
Is this documented somewhere?

 I want to make sure that no part of the existing Python installation
on Fedora Core is overwritten by an "altinstall" of 2.6.

Check the generated Makefile (created by ./configure)

--James

casevh

   I know that one is supposed to use "make altinstall" to install
versions of Python that won't be the "primary" version.  But what
directory names does it use for packages and other support files?
Is this documented somewhere?

   I want to make sure that no part of the existing Python installation
on Fedora Core is overwritten by an "altinstall" of 2.6.

                                John Nagle

It's placed in the directory specified by --prefix. If --prefix is not
specified, /usr/local is used by default.

casevh