Where to begin with Perl 6

John Bokma

I want to read up a bit on Perl 6, but have no real idea where to start.

I mean: I am interested in two things: Parrot, and Perl 6 syntax (what
is new). So basically less in the how and why things in Perl 6 are going
to be as they are going to be (I doubt that I can change any of those,
if I wanted to or even could).

I understand that for Parrot there is a low level assembly language, and
a bit higher language on top of that. Since I want a firm understanding
of the inner parts (I might want to contribute, but probably am not able
to) I was thinking to start with studying Parrot.

OTOH I am very curious what new things are going to be added, etc. to
Perl 6, i.e. how Perl 6 code looks.

For experimentation I understand I can download Parrot.

Also, I understand that there is a Perl6 that runs on HUGS (IIRC)? Is
this the most "complete" Perl6, or are there alternatives (I have some
experience with functional programming, Miranda/Gofer, but that's over
10 years ago). And I read that one can add some Perl6 to Perl5 using
modules on CPAN, but that it's not a prefered way.

Thanks for the info.

(
Without trying to sound presumptuous [1]:

Somehow related: are/is there a more advanced Perl forum. I do learn
from quite a number of people here, even though I have been using Perl
for quite some time, but there are quite a number of easy questions
that don't add much for me. The moderated group has very very little
traffic.

I will continue reading/contributing to clpm, but also need more
brainfood :-D.
)

[1] If that's the right word.

Mark Clements

John said:
(
Without trying to sound presumptuous [1]:

Somehow related: are/is there a more advanced Perl forum. I do learn
from quite a number of people here, even though I have been using Perl
for quite some time, but there are quite a number of easy questions
that don't add much for me. The moderated group has very very little
traffic.

I will continue reading/contributing to clpm, but also need more
brainfood :-D.
)

[1] If that's the right word.
you could try the groups on the newserver at nntp.perl.org .

Also

http://www.perlmonks.org

cheers,

Mark

John Bokma

Sisyphus said:
If you're interested in perl 6 syntax, there are a number of modules that
you allow you to run various perl6 features on perl 5. See:

"And I read that one can add some Perl6 to Perl5 using
modules on CPAN, but that it's not a prefered way."

I recall to have read recently that this method had some disadvantages.
Can't remember exactly what (something like mixing Perl5 and Perl6?)