where to start for gui

Mike Schramm

Hey ruby lovers,

So I've been learning for a while now, and I think I've got a fairly
good handle on ruby for the command line. How can I put my ruby
knowledge to use programming a gui for OSX? Anyone know a good,
simple beginner's tutorial for GUI programming, specifically ruby?

Mike

Kevin Brown

I haven't read it, but the Pragmatic Programmers have just produced a
small book for building Qt interfaces using Ruby: Rapid GUI
Development with QtRuby by Caleb Tennis.
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ctrubyqt/

I'd be very interested if anybody has a review.

-m

It's not a review by any means, but I'm reasonably familiar with the Qt/Ruby
and Korundum bindings, and he does a very good job of easing you into it in
the book.

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_3182_24537833.1128840441893

Hey ruby lovers,

So I've been learning for a while now, and I think I've got a fairly
good handle on ruby for the command line. How can I put my ruby
knowledge to use programming a gui for OSX? Anyone know a good,
simple beginner's tutorial for GUI programming, specifically ruby?

If you're only interested in OSX and not cross-platform GUIs then you'll
want to use RubyCocoa:

http://rubycocoa.sourceforge.net/

If you want a cross-platform GUI, then it really depends on values and need=
because there is no clear choice. Each possibility comes with its own set o=
tradeoffs. A little searching with Google and you should turn up plenty of
discussions of this topic.

Curt

------=_Part_3182_24537833.1128840441893--

Greg Brown

This link was given when this topic came around a few weeks ago:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ComparingGuiToolkits

I've gone through hell getting Tk to work on 10.3, but it apparently
works out of the box on 10.4 (If you install X).

FXRuby went in fairly smoothly, but it kind of confused me ( Just
because I was not used to it, coming from Perl/Tk and Java/Swing )

I haven't dug into my copy of the QT book from the pragmatic
programmers yet, but if it's anything like their other books, that's
definitely a great option.

Hope this helps.

-Greg

Matt Torok

Can anybody tell me if Qt/Ruby and/or Konundrum, and more specifically
the Pragmatic book on the subject, work on Windows? I'm a Windows
developer and would like to whip up some quick GUIs, but the Pragmatic
page only lists Linux and OS X by name when they say "cross platform."
However, the wiki page linked above says that QtRuby "should work on
Windows as well."

So what's true? Does the book only cover stuff applicable to *nix and
OS X, does it cover some stuff that works on Windows and some stuff
that doesn't, or is it all applicable? Which frameworks, of those
listed above, do run reasonably well on Windows?

Oh, and on a side note, does anybody know how mature wxRuby is? The
wiki page says it just recently development, implying that it's
immature. The RubyForge page says "beta", but that can mean all sorts
of things.

Thanks for answers that you guys can provide.