Where's the aspnet_wp?

Ingo Lundberg

So, I have a brand new PC with XP Professional SP2 and .Net 1.1 SP1 (no .Net
1.0). I also have VS.Net 2003.

I create a new directory with Explorer and web share it. I create a new
ASP.Net web project in VS.Net "pointing" to the virtual catalog. I also add
a button the web form just for fun.

When I start the application (Ctrl-F5) from VS.Net I get a page in IE
complaining (actually in Swedish) something about access to path denied; the
path being C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\ingosweb\12aa2b0a\9ef7d99f. The web is called IngosWeb. The error
message also says something about ASP.NET not having access to the resource
at hand and goes on about the ASPNET account usually being the base process
identity.

Oh well, I start to check things out. No aspnet_wp.exe process started. But
to my surprise the rights to ASPNET on
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files seams
all fine. I take filemon (www.sysinternals.com) and discover that it is
actually IWAM_{machine} that tries to create the directories and files
needed. Okay, so I add IWAM_{machine} to the ACL of the temp-directory.
Wham, things start to work fine. Debugging too.

But here comes the really baffling part, my ASP.NET web is not hosted by
aspnet_wp it is hosted by a dllhost instance. Now, I've been around since
betas of .Net 1.0 and this I didn't expect. The web itself (in IIS config
MMC snap-in) is set to normal (pool or middle option of isolation) (remember
I have a Swedish XP so you need to use your imagination here).

As a quick experiment I changed the isolation to the lowest level, and there
suddenly my web is hosted in aspnet_wp, but correct me if I'm wrong but didn't
it used to be the case that the isolation level of the application in IIS
has no impact on ASP.NET applications.

I just did the very same thing, creating web and project, etc, on another PC
that doesn't have SP2 and not SP1 of .Net 1.1. The web is, when web shared,
created with the same application isolation level as on my new machine. But
on this machine the ASP.Net application is hosted by aspnet_wp. Also
changing the isolation to the highest doesn't affect the hosting part.

Anyone that has some input to all this?

Regards,
Ingo

Ingo Lundberg

Is the answer to my troubles so obvious that it doesn’t trig anyone to jump
in? Maybe I wasn’t provoking enough :)?

Let me rephrase this. When did hosting of ASP.Net web apps start to be
dependant of the isolation level of the IIS 5 settings? Where is the
official MS documentation of this?

I bet some of the most reason fixes is guilty. At my current location w2k
servers have been patched with MS fixes. They show the same problem!!!

Regards,
Ingo

Scott Allen

Hi Ingo:

It's not that the answer is so obvious. For me it is because I've
never heard of ASP.NET being hosted outside of aspnet_wp.exe on IIS 5.

Ingo Lundberg

I a way that's good since I've never heard of it either. I mean, I started
to feel crazy here. But believe me. It is happening and I'm darn puzzled.

MS?

/Ingo