Where's the Localization Starter Kit?

clintonG

I tell ya, I'd really like to study a base implementation or have an outline
of what I need to build a base implementation of a localized ASP.NET 2.0
page, an application better yet with at least some navigation.

Not to be seen - yet - at MSDN. I looked at
news://microsoft.public.platform.localization but there's only one news
article showing a pair of ASCII hooters. I kid you not. A set of great big
ASCII titties and nothing else.

Don't show me your hooters. Show me your source:)

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

john smith

clintonG said:
I tell ya, I'd really like to study a base implementation or have an outline
of what I need to build a base implementation of a localized ASP.NET 2.0
page, an application better yet with at least some navigation.

Not to be seen - yet - at MSDN. I looked at
news://microsoft.public.platform.localization but there's only one news
article showing a pair of ASCII hooters. I kid you not. A set of great big
ASCII titties and nothing else.

Don't show me your hooters. Show me your source:)

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

Those spammers are getting annoying indeed. I so wish there was an easy
way to killfile them in Thunderbird...

Localization wise, there is still a LOT of info out there (using
CurrentCulture and CurrentUICulture, using the browser's ACCEPT_LANG as
well as preferences in the user's profile or such, using a
ResourceManager to get localized stuff automatically, etc). I don't see
why they'd put out a starter kit for that. There's tons of articles
about this...

clintonG

Visual Studio 2005 help has nothing in its index for Generate Local
Resources and searching through VS2005 help and then the web returns an
unorderly tsunami. Lots of "this is what its all about" documentation but
haven't found documents(s) which speak to "considerations" when beginning a
base implementation. Still swimming.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

john smith

clintonG said:
Visual Studio 2005 help has nothing in its index for Generate Local
Resources and searching through VS2005 help and then the web returns an
unorderly tsunami. Lots of "this is what its all about" documentation but
haven't found documents(s) which speak to "considerations" when beginning a
base implementation. Still swimming.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

I hardly ever use VS's help system. But you will most definitely find
some good localization articles on popular sites like codeproject,
4guysfromrolla, etc.

clintonG

This discussion [1] (with many resource referrals) is perhaps the most
cogent I have found. All those who are interested in localization need to
read through the discussion as it includes a plethora of expressed concerns
by developers who are actually developing solutions.

The many participants involved in the discussion convey the slight
improvement with VS2005 and DNF 2.0 neither of which can manage localization
well which still requires a significant amount of DYI architecture and
implementation.

Still swimming...

<%= Clinton Gallagher

[1] http://forums.asp.net/1126817/ShowPost.aspx