Which GUI framework to use?

koranthala

Hi,
I am creating a very minimal application (a networking app).
I have written the application using Twisted.
Now, I need to put a GUI wrapper on the application.
The application needs a login screen and also it needs to be
minimized to system tray. If I right click the image on system tray, I
should be able to close it.
It uses some legacy code, so the whole app is written in Python
2.4. Also, my company requires that I use permissive licenses (no GPL
- MIT, BSD, LGPL etc ok)

Which GUI framework is best for this? I tried using Tkinter, but it
does not support minimize to system tray (or I couldnt find it).

This is my first foray to GUI programming, so other issues that I
am worried about -
1. GUI needs a loop, Twisted needs a loop. How can both go ahead
without messing each other?

Thank You very much

Diez B. Roggisch

koranthala said:
Hi,
I am creating a very minimal application (a networking app).
I have written the application using Twisted.
Now, I need to put a GUI wrapper on the application.
The application needs a login screen and also it needs to be
minimized to system tray. If I right click the image on system tray, I
should be able to close it.
It uses some legacy code, so the whole app is written in Python
2.4. Also, my company requires that I use permissive licenses (no GPL
- MIT, BSD, LGPL etc ok)

Google this group. The discussions are abundant about this. Keep in mind
that while Qt changed licenses to LGPL, PyQt didn't and thus you can't
use it.
Which GUI framework is best for this? I tried using Tkinter, but it
does not support minimize to system tray (or I couldnt find it).

This is my first foray to GUI programming, so other issues that I
am worried about -
1. GUI needs a loop, Twisted needs a loop. How can both go ahead
without messing each other?

Google is your friend here, too:

http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/choosing-reactor.html

Diez

Hendrik van Rooyen

Hi,
I am creating a very minimal application (a networking app).
I have written the application using Twisted.
Now, I need to put a GUI wrapper on the application.
The application needs a login screen and also it needs to be
minimized to system tray. If I right click the image on system tray, I
should be able to close it.
It uses some legacy code, so the whole app is written in Python
2.4. Also, my company requires that I use permissive licenses (no GPL
- MIT, BSD, LGPL etc ok)

Which GUI framework is best for this? I tried using Tkinter, but it
does not support minimize to system tray (or I couldnt find it).

look at iconify, and at withdraw

- Hendrik