Which is better OS for game development?

Bryan Parkoff

It is off the point that it is in the wrong newsgroups, but I need your
advice, please.
Please state your opinion that I want to write C/C++ programming to
develop games and emulator projects using MS-DOS, Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
and other OS. Many people stick MS-DOS while they use DJCPP, but Microsoft
tells them to move from MS-DOS to Windows by using DirectX.
It may be the problem because we must stick with Microsoft API functions
including Win32 and DirectX. We want to port our codes to other OS. Then I
believe that Allegro library is only the recommendation.
I believe that Allegro is much easier than DirectX and OpenGL because
Allegro can be ported to any OS.
I do not have to modify my source code from OS to another OS. Thanks...

Bryan Parkoff

Ufit

Bryan Parkoff said:
It is off the point that it is in the wrong newsgroups, but I need your
advice, please.
Please state your opinion that I want to write C/C++ programming to
develop games and emulator projects using MS-DOS, Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
and other OS. Many people stick MS-DOS while they use DJCPP, but Microsoft
tells them to move from MS-DOS to Windows by using DirectX.
It may be the problem because we must stick with Microsoft API functions
including Win32 and DirectX. We want to port our codes to other OS. Then I
believe that Allegro library is only the recommendation.
I believe that Allegro is much easier than DirectX and OpenGL because
Allegro can be ported to any OS.
I do not have to modify my source code from OS to another OS. Thanks...

Bryan Parkoff
LOL)
Man, how many games you wanna write ) And for how many OSs.
I'd stick to OpenGL which is still mostly v1.1. Or go with DX/D3D
which develops fast. DX standard is developing very good and many
new game stations can use this code. I dont know about Allegro support
but heard it uses DX calls to get all 3d features.
IMHO it's really hard to write a decent game fully portable to other OSs
I'd say its impossible. Well, good luck)
Uf

Ioannis Vranos

Ufit said:
LOL)
Man, how many games you wanna write ) And for how many OSs.
I'd stick to OpenGL which is still mostly v1.1. Or go with DX/D3D
which develops fast. DX standard is developing very good and many
new game stations can use this code. I dont know about Allegro support
but heard it uses DX calls to get all 3d features.
IMHO it's really hard to write a decent game fully portable to other OSs
I'd say its impossible. Well, good luck)
Uf

I suppose with DX you mean DirectX. As far as I know it is MS specific
and not a standard.

Are you talking about something else, or perhaps I am missing something?

Ufit

Ioannis Vranos said:
Ufit wrote:
I suppose with DX you mean DirectX. As far as I know it is MS specific
and not a standard.

Are you talking about something else, or perhaps I am missing something?
What do you think. It's a library. If there's MS it uses MS libraries to do final job.
If its Linux it uses other linux libraries. What, did you think Allegro accesses
hardware ports directly? That's why it's portable. There are probably some bugs.
My friends had some minor problems with Allegro under Linux.
Uf

L1quid

You *could* write your games in such a way that you could just build
for each OS with a different graphics handling class or something, so
you wouldn't have to rewrite your game each time, and could use the
best graphics library for each OS.