Which python framework?

blissend

I love programming in python but I'm having trouble deciding over a framework for a single player MUD like game I'm making for fun. Ideally it's a cross-platform free framework in case I want make it open source later with good capabilities of customizing the GUI look/style.

Currently I'm using wxpython which is great but I'm reading that if I want more customization over the look (i.e. a frame being all black and not using windows 7 blue borders) then I may want to look elsewhere? If so what would be more ideal?

Keep in mind this is only a text based game so 3D is not needed. Perhaps I have to forgo my love of python for something else? Something comparable toappealing look of python syntax?

Chris Angelico

I love programming in python but I'm having trouble deciding over a framework for a single player MUD like game I'm making for fun. Ideally it's a cross-platform free framework in case I want make it open source later with good capabilities of customizing the GUI look/style.

If by "MUD-like" you mean that it's fundamentally based on scrolling
text and inputted commands, you may be able to just skip the GUI
altogether and use the console (print() and input()). That'd save you
a lot of trouble. Alternatively, it might be worth going the other way
and actually making it a MUD. Wait for a socket connection, let the
user TELNET in. Your GUI would then be an actual MUD client, off the
shelf, giving you all its features absolutely for free. Either way,
you put zero effort into building a GUI, and you get something every
bit as powerful as you could build manually.

ChrisA

blissend

If by "MUD-like" you mean that it's fundamentally based on scrolling

text and inputted commands, you may be able to just skip the GUI

altogether and use the console (print() and input()). That'd save you

a lot of trouble. Alternatively, it might be worth going the other way

and actually making it a MUD. Wait for a socket connection, let the

user TELNET in. Your GUI would then be an actual MUD client, off the

shelf, giving you all its features absolutely for free. Either way,

you put zero effort into building a GUI, and you get something every

bit as powerful as you could build manually.

ChrisA

I suppose what I'm trying to accomplish isn't ordinary. Yes, it's fundamentally a scrolling text based game but... with input commands only as a secondary option. I'm going to design a new user experience I have in mind via aGUI that can engage users without having to type commands. This is why I'mwondering about alternatives.

blissend

I suppose what I'm trying to accomplish isn't ordinary. Yes, it's fundamentally a scrolling text based game but... with input commands only as a secondary option. I'm going to design a new user experience I have in mind viaa GUI that can engage users without having to type commands. This is why I'm wondering about alternatives.

It appears pyqt has better theming capabilities from what I'm reading up on..

CM

I love programming in python but I'm having trouble deciding over a framework for a single player MUD like game I'm making for fun. Ideally it's a cross-platform free framework in case I want make it open source later with good capabilities of customizing the GUI look/style.

Currently I'm using wxpython which is great but I'm reading that if I want more customization over the look (i.e. a frame being all black and not using windows 7 blue borders)

You can turn off some of the frame style flags and make the frame look a number of different ways, though the point in a frame in wxPython is *native*, and so will be limited in look to what the OS natively draws. (So, in a sense, don't blame wxPython, blame Windows, OS X, or Linux, if you want). You'd have to describe what you mean by "all black" more (I mean, do you want a top border at all? Do you want a gripper? Full screen? Etc), but I suggest you ask on the wxPython list and they can tell you best what is and what is not possible. My guess is that whatever you have in mind that is beyond wxPython's capabilities is going to fall into YAGNI territory (user-experience-wise) anyway.
Keep in mind this is only a text based game so 3D is not needed. Perhaps I
have to forgo my love of python for something else?

I highly doubt that. I'm sure whatever you want to do is doable with Python.