Why does this cause a seg fault?

Joined
Jan 23, 2023
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have this code that apparently causes a seg fault. Why is that and what can I do to fix it?

C:
            unsigned char* pixel_offset = data + (j + width * i) * byte_per_pixel;
            unsigned char y = pixel_offset[0];

Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
107
Reaction score
13
The seg fault error message suggests that you're accessing memory that your program doesn't have permission to access. In this case, it's possible that the pixel_offset pointer is pointing to a memory location that is out of bounds.

To fix the issue, you should check if j + width * i is within the bounds of the data array. If it's not, you should either stop processing the current iteration of the loop or return an error message.

Here's an example:

C:
if (j + width * i >= width * height * byte_per_pixel) {
  printf("Error: Out of bounds\n");
  return;
}

unsigned char* pixel_offset = data + (j + width * i) * byte_per_pixel;
unsigned char y = pixel_offset[0];

This checks if the calculated offset is larger than the total size of the data array, and if so, it prints an error message and returns.