Why doesn't Tomcat identify itself?

timjowers

Netcraft shows only 423 sites running Apache Tomcat versus 50,502,840
running Apache and 15,208,775 runninig IIS. When I searched my site
which runs Tomcat 5 Netcraft was unable to determine the type. Anybody
know what is the deal here?

http://survey.netcraft.com/Reports/0601/

Here Netcraft lists what is counted as Apache but makes no mention of
Tomcat.
http://survey.netcraft.com/Reports/200601/platform.html

I have trouble believing out of the 75,251,256 sites surveyed that only
423 are running Apache Tomcat.

Ad

im

Netcraft shows only 423 sites running Apache Tomcat versus 50,502,840
running Apache and 15,208,775 runninig IIS. When I searched my site
which runs Tomcat 5 Netcraft was unable to determine the type. Anybody
know what is the deal here?

Many Tomcat servers run behind Apache front ends. Also, a default Tomcat
configuration identifies itself as Coyote (the http connector), in
the Server header.

Imre

Bruce Lewis

I have trouble believing out of the 75,251,256 sites surveyed that only
423 are running Apache Tomcat.

I would guess that's tomcat standalone. More people running standalone
Java-based servers choose Resin, AOLserver, WebLogic, Jetty or JRun.
(The site in my sig runs Jetty.) Tomcat/Jetty/etc using mod_jk with the
Apache web server are likely counted as Apache.

Ad

timjowers

Thanks, I should have looked at the headers. What I was after is how
many run Tomcat v WebLogic v WebSphere v JBoss and I think this is the
measurement then:

Apache 50,502,840
IIS 15,208,775
Sun-ONE-Web-Server 1,551,930
Tomcat 184,044 + % (Apache-Coyote 183621,
Tomcat 423)
Resin 69,736
WebLogic 13,601
Jetty 7,973
JRun 7,905
WebSphere 6,671
%: What % of Apache sites have mod_jk?

Of course like mentioned WebLogic may also be behind Apache such as
my previous project where they did this for reverse DNS and for single
sign-on. Not sure about JBoss, Geronimo, JoNAS but looks like Open
Source still dominates for Web Sites (but not sure about Web Traffic or
App Servers).

TimJowers

Top