why japanese looks smaller in FF

jackchang1

Hi,

I came to a weird crossing-browser problem for Japanese content. I
have eastern asian languages installed on my pc, and set the lang for
the page to be 'ja-JP', but it looks smaller in FireFox 2 than it does
in IE6. On a pc without eastern asian languages installed, there is no
difference.

http://ruizhang.org/Documents/japaneseFF2IE6.JPG

If you have some insights, please let me know. Any thoughts or
comments are appreciated.

cheers,

Stevo

it looks smaller in FireFox 2 than it does in IE6.

I'd be surprised if anything looks the same in both browsers. I've never
seen a page rendered the same in both IE and FF.

Hal Rosser

Stevo said:
I'd be surprised if anything looks the same in both browsers. I've never
seen a page rendered the same in both IE and FF.

try opening it in FF then hold down the ctrl key and strike the plus key (+)
a couple of times.

Bart Van der Donck

I came to a weird crossing-browser problem for Japanese content. I
have eastern asian languages installed on my pc, and set the lang for
the page to be 'ja-JP', but it looks smaller in FireFox 2 than it does
in IE6. On a pc without eastern asian languages installed, there is no
difference.

Font size can be defined using relative or absolute units (em, px, pt,
mm, %, ...). Maybe it could help to use an absolute unit rather than a
relative one.

rf

Bart Van der Donck said:
Font size can be defined using relative or absolute units (em, px, pt,
mm, %, ...). Maybe it could help to use an absolute unit rather than a
relative one.

No, it would not.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Bart said:
Font size can be defined using relative or absolute units (em, px, pt,
mm, %, ...).
Exactly.

Maybe it could help to use an absolute unit rather than a relative one.

No, it would not; that is bad advice. Using absolute units renders a font
too big on one system and too small to be legible on another. If absolute
units are used, they should only be used for element dimensions and
printing. That is basic Web developer knowledge, actually.

PointedEars

jackchang1

Font size can be defined using relative or absolute units (em, px, pt,
mm, %, ...). Maybe it could help to use an absolute unit rather than a
relative one.

Actually I am using absolute units. I guess it is because FireFox and
IE are using different glyph, which makes them look different. Too bad
if it is case, because I was trying to position some divs through
absolute positions instead of using tables.

Nick Fletcher

Actually I am using absolute units. I guess it is because FireFox and
IE are using different glyph, which makes them look different. Too bad
if it is case, because I was trying to position some divs through
absolute positions instead of using tables.

You should try to design your page so that it will render correctly
with a wide range of font sizes. Don't assume the default font size in
a user's browser is 16px.