Why Multithreaded webservice?

Alex Mirzayanov

Hi all,
*A theoretical question: When does multithreading a webservice come into
play (if ever)? Is there such thing as a multi-threaded high-performance
optimized webservice? Or does each user hitting a webservice cause a
webservice to spawn a new instance/process so it makes no sense to even talk
about threads and a webservice? any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Alex M

Arno Huetter

Hi there,

each webservice invocation will run within its own thread context.
That does not mean that each time a new thread must be started.
Threads will be pooled and reused, just like webservice instances, as
they are stateless by definition.

The thought of blocking werbservices makes me tremble... spawning
processes? Not since the old days of CGI...

There is something like IIS out-off-process pooled applications... in
case you want a certain web application to run within its own,
prioritized process...

Kind regards,
Arno Huetter