Why we need symbol files for GDI32.dll or Kernel32.dll etc...

Saurabh Aggrawal

Hi,
I am in the process of debugging a 32 bit driver in user mode. I am
debugging a dll( printer UI) which internally uses the GDI32.dll. I am
using the Windbg for debugging. Windbg is loading the symbol files for
the GDI32.dll, kernel32.dll..... and all the other dll's properly.
While debugging i want to see what is happening in GDI32 behind the
scene. Is there a way? If not then why do we load the GDI32.pdb for
debugging.
Thanks,
Saurabh Aggrawal

Dietmar Kuehl

Saurabh said:
I am in the process of debugging a 32 bit driver in user mode. I am
debugging a dll( printer UI) which internally uses the GDI32.dll. I am
using the Windbg for debugging. Windbg is loading the symbol files for
the GDI32.dll, kernel32.dll..... and all the other dll's properly.
While debugging i want to see what is happening in GDI32 behind the
scene. Is there a way? If not then why do we load the GDI32.pdb for
debugging.

.... and your C++ question is exactly what? I didn't detect anything
remotely related to C++. Your article is environment specific
(Windows only) and actually not about C++ at all (it is about the
details of some platforms implementation of shared objects and how
to debug them). Please direct your article to an appropriate
environment specific forum. Thank you.

Saurabh Aggrawal

Hi,
If you don't understand the question the don't assume that it is no
where related to c++. If you would have ever debugged any c++ code
using any debugger then you would have understood the question very
well. Anyway thank for the quick reply.

Saurabh Aggrawal

Larry Brasfield

Saurabh Aggrawal said:
Hi,
If you don't understand the question the don't assume that it is no
where related to c++. If you would have ever debugged any c++ code
using any debugger then you would have understood the question very
well. Anyway thank for the quick reply.

Your question is off-topic here. No assumptions are
needed to see that. Dietmar's response expresses a
sentiment shared by many participants here. So,
please, take a few moments to think about why
topicality is important and what it means. Then
take your issue to one of the groups on the news
server reachable as news.microsoft.com .

Dietmar Kuehl

Saurabh said:
If you don't understand the question the don't assume that it is no
where related to c++. If you would have ever debugged any c++ code
using any debugger then you would have understood the question very
well.

Actually, I would claim that if I don't understand the question,
there is a rather fair chance that it is off-topic! ... and I have
debugged loads of C++ code but never had come across kernel32.dll!
Of course, that is because your question is platform specific and
thus off-topic in comp.lang.c++.

Karl Heinz Buchegger

Saurabh said:
Hi,
If you don't understand the question the don't assume that it is no
where related to c++. If you would have ever debugged any c++ code
using any debugger

That is a good one. Especially if we take into account to whom
this accusation was made.