Win XP, SMTP, and Socket Error 10053

Billism

My email client (I programmed) recently has stopped being able to send
email with my XP machine. I have had 3 other friends test it and the same
thing happens. The program has not changed, but Windows XP has.

My program can connect to any other port (that I've tried) on a remote
machine. However, when trying to connect to port 25 (SMTP), immediately,
socket error 10053 occurs, and the socket fails to connect because of it.
The problem is not just with my program, but others such as AgileMail
(http://www.flashpeak.com/agilemail/agilemail.htm) and Simple Email Client
(http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/I-N/int...icle.php/c3441/).

The problem is only with Windows XP. I think it has to do something with a
recent Windows XP update. It seems like it may be some kind of security
issue whwn a program tries to connect to a remote port 25.

Yes, Eudora can send email just fine.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I am stumped.

Billism

The firewall was turned on. I tried disabling it, the same thing.

And proxy client, I am not using a proxy. These programs connect directly
to the SMTP server, on port 25.

google

Belated response...

I've been going nuts trying to use blat, a program that sends smtp
emails. I've been using it without any problems for some months - and
now I get the socket error 100053 every time I use it.

However I've just discovered that if I turn my McAfee VirusScan 8 off
it'll work fine. No more socket errors.

HTH

Steve

Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Just to expand on the previous response: yes, McAfee VirusScan 8 was the source of my similar problem.

You just have to go into the VScan console and go to the "traffic light" icon (access protection rules) and edit the rule that prevents mass-mailing worms. Basically what it does is forbid all traffic through port 25 except for a list of executables (eudora.exe, outlook.exe and so on). SImply add your program's name to the list.

Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

To build on above discussion, I say 'YES' the problem is strictly because of your "Firewall" allthough you turn off the Firewall, there might be something like "real time virus scan" that would also prevent you to send and receive through any port open. I'm sure you might having some option in your firewall or Anit Virus that gives you option to add "Trusted Sites" where you can give your IP Address to pass through.

Thanks
-Pawan-