win32.com problem to unprotect a word document

Discussion in 'Python' started by Christian Lehmann, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I´m trying to unprotect a word document with python for reading all form fields.
    But it doesn´t work.

    Here´s a simple code sample:

    wordapp = win32com.client.Dispatch("Word.Application")
    docfile = wordapp.Documents.Open(file)

    protecttype = docfile.ProtectionType # protected delivers 2
    docfile.Unprotect
    protecttype = docfile.ProtectionType # anyway 2

    # do some work

    docfile.Protect
    protecttype = docfile.ProtectionType # anyway 2

    So someone please tell me, whats my fault?

    best regards
    Christian

    Christian Lehmann, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Christian Lehmann

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Is it possible you should actually be *calling* Unprotect
    and Protect, instead of just retrieving their values?
    To do that, make sure you include the parentheses as in

    docfile.Unprotect()

    Python is not VB...

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Nov 10, 2003