Win32 python and excel macros

michael.pearmain

Hi Experts,

Looking for a very quick bit on of advice on how to make some python
code run. I'm a newbie to both VBA and Python, so i apologise if this
is very easy but i'm about to tear my hair out after googling for the
last 3 days.

I have written a large python script which inside of it creates an
Excel table, the name of this file and how many objects can change for
each project i run.

I have then written a VBA script which takes the info from Excel and
drops it into a PowerPoint Pres.

Both of these procedures work fine, but i am coming unstuck when i try
to apply the macro, (or .xla) file to the new tables autmatically. Can
anyone give me any guidance on this?

The macro is called sub is CTP and the add-in file is CTP.XLA

Below is the code i've managed to 'Stick' together

Mike

import win32com.client
xl = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application")
ppt = win32com.client.Dispatch("PowerPoint.Application")
xl.Visible = 1 #open MS Excel
ppt.Visible = 1 #open MS Powerpoint
xl.Workbooks.Open('Z:\\projects\\surveys\\SPSS - Generic files\\big
output.xls') #A table for a project
xl.Workbooks.Open('Z:\\projects\\surveys\\SPSS - Generic
files\\CTP.xla') # Stored macro add-in
ppt.Presentations.Open('Z:\\projects\\surveys\\SPSS - Generic
files\\Basic Template.ppt')
xl.Application.ExecuteExcel4macro('CTP!CTP.xla()"[big output.XLS]')

John Coleman

[...]

It doesn't really make sense to apply a *file* to a *file* - you apply
a sub or function in that file to a range in the other file (I'm
assuming that your table is stored as a range of cells). What
ExcecuteExcel4Macro is expecting as input is a string along the lines
of
'CTP!MacroName(Workbooks("big output").Range("A1:C100"))'
(experiment with using "" instead of " since VBA requires embedded " to
be escaped by "" - but since you are writing this in Python it might
not be necessary). Maybe experiment with writing a VBA macro in Excel
which can successfuly launch the macro you need and then translate the
appropriate snippet to your python script. Also - are you sure that the
add-in macro is an old-style Excel4 macro? That would make it about 10
years old or deliberately retro. If not - the run method might be more
appropriate.

You should probably open the workbooks in such a way that big
output.xls is the active workbook (and not ctp.xla) since most add-ins
assume that the calling workbook is the active workbook (although - I
don't know how an old-style pre-VBA Excel4 macro handled things). Thus
you would probably want to open big output.xls last (or use
xl.Application.Workbooks("big output").Activate ) to make sure that it
is the active workbook. Also - do you even have to open ctp.xla
explicitly? If it is an installed add-in then that line might be
redundant.

A final potential problem is that big output.xls might require a
reference to ctp.xla. This sometimes happens when you try to invoke
add-in code from another VBA project - but I would think that the
ExecuteExcel4macro would bypass that.

I can't comment on the python part of the equation - I am a complete
newbie there.

You might consider reposting this in microsoft.public.excel.programming
since many of the regular posters there know a lot about automating
Excel from scripting languages. They could at least help you with the
VBA side of the equation.

I hope that my random thoughts don't misguide you too much.

-John Coleman

Mike P

Thanks for your advice on this matter,

I'm actually using Excel 2003!! so it shows how much i know!

i did manage to get the prog to run with the line
xl.Application.Run("CTP.xla!sheet1.CTP")

but it didn't do anything... i'm guessing it is along the lines of wht
you were saying earlier about big output being the active worksheet.

I'll give that a go now

Thanks for the advice

Mike

Mike P

After just running trying that update it hits the macro perfectly but
hten i get an error message after i type in a couple of values.. as per
below

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 148, in ?
File "<COMObject <unknown>>", line 14, in Run
File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line
258, in _ApplyTypes_
result = self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(*(dispid, LCID, wFlags, retType,
argTypes) + args)
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None,
None, None, 0, -2146827284), None)

I know you said you didn't know much about python, so if any other
experts outthere can give me a clue.. i'll be very appreciative

Mike

John Coleman

Mike said:
After just running trying that update it hits the macro perfectly but
hten i get an error message after i type in a couple of values.. as per
below

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 148, in ?
File "<COMObject <unknown>>", line 14, in Run
File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line
258, in _ApplyTypes_
result = self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(*(dispid, LCID, wFlags, retType,
argTypes) + args)
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None,
None, None, 0, -2146827284), None)

I know you said you didn't know much about python, so if any other
experts outthere can give me a clue.. i'll be very appreciative

Mike

Mike,

Maybe you can use a little error handling in the VBA code to see if the
error is in the VBA or in the Python (or both)

At the top of the sub that you call put the line

On Error GoTo err_handler

and at the bottom of the sub (right before the end sub) put:

err_handler:
If Err.Number > 0 Then
MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description
End If

This will also give you some idea of what the error is from VBA's
perspective (although the error descriptions are not always very
informative).

HTH

-John Coleman