Windows and long filenames

DrkShadow

I've written various perlgrams for windows and I'd quite much like to be
able to drag and drop them. The problem is, when I drag and drop or when I
throw a file at it via shortcut (send to menu.. really..), it passes a
short filename, which doesn't work. Just accept that.

So... I need to know one of two things:
how do I get windows to pass a long filename? I've looked at exe's in the
registry, everything is basically the same (DropHandler was copied to perl,
no effect).

Alternatively, how do I get a long filename from a short filename? Is there
a way that exists somewhere?

-DrkShadow

dede

Hi Drk,

could you give us an example of the snippet you are using ...
... and what was exactly the source that you tried to drop ... where?

dd, Paris

nobull

DrkShadow said:
Alternatively, how do I get a long filename from a short filename? Is there
a way that exists somewhere?

Perl interfaces to Windows specific functions can be found in the
Win32 hierachy of modules. Finding the function you describe in there
took me less than a minuite. (Would probably have been less if I'd
thought to do a search on 'Long').

Repeating this process is left as an exercise for the reader to help
build self-sufficiency.

here.