Windows Authentication - what happens when it's not available?

Dan Nash

Hi

I'm developing an Intranet system for a client, and am looking at using
Windows Authentication, so that the network users don't have to log onto the
network and Intranet seperately.

However, the client wants users to be able to access the information on the
Intranet from home. To that end, the port would be open across the net. But
if they try and access it from home, WA wouldn't know who they were, as they
would not be logged into the Win2k3 domain.

So... is it possible to get .NET to use Windows Authentication, UNLESS it
can't find a logged in user, in which case it directs them to a login page?
Or is there a better way.....?

Forgive me if my logic is wrong - new to asp.NET!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Raterus

If you hit a windows authentication page without the appropriate credentials, you will automatically be prompted with a login box (like the basic authentication box), to enter your information. I don't think you need to do much more than that.
--Michael

HG

Hi Dan

I don't remember the exact URL, but do a search on MSDN for "mixed
security". I remember seen an article doing exactly what you are trying to
achieve.

Regards from Denmark

Henrik