Windows integrated

J-T

We have an asp.net application with <identity impersonate="true"/> and
<authentication mode="Windows" /> in our web config and we are using Windows
integrated in IIS and also NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE account in its
application pool. I create an object in Global.asax which monitors a folder
for upcoming files.What is the security context of the object since there is
no user (Domain\Username) requesting this object.Is it running under the
security context of AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE account ?

Thanks in advance

Paul Clement

¤ We have an asp.net application with <identity impersonate="true"/> and
¤ <authentication mode="Windows" /> in our web config and we are using Windows
¤ integrated in IIS and also NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE account in its
¤ application pool. I create an object in Global.asax which monitors a folder
¤ for upcoming files.What is the security context of the object since there is
¤ no user (Domain\Username) requesting this object.Is it running under the
¤ security context of AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE account ?

If I understand your scenario correctly the HTTPContext, WindowsIdentity and thread is operating
under the security context of the impersonated user, which would be the domain user that is logged
on to browser client.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello J-T,

you can easily find out by logging the current identity.

WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name holds this information

Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET]

As long as Anonymous auth is turned off, it should be the domain user (else
a logon prompt will show for the user). If Anonynous auth is enabled (in
addition to Integrated), then it will probably be the IUSR_{machinename}
user or whoever you have defined as the anonymous user in IIS.