Workflow and IHttpModule

David

Hi all,

I have an application in C#, .NET 1.1 (don't ask, it just is...)

What I need to do is to be able to dynamically add some sort of event
handler. I am basing what I am asking for a bit on the knowledge of
Microsoft CMS and the way it adds to the workflow process. If you see here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa510902.aspx you can see that
global.asax has been extended to have certain events handled. In this case,
the events could be used for emailing someone when a 'posting' has been
submitted. I am wanting to do a similar thing.

My research so far has led me to IHttpModule but I have never done anything
like this before, and not sure where or how to handle it.

In my situation, I have a linkbutton on the page. This is handled, but I
want to be able to extend it. What's more, is that if the product was ever
for sale (potentially) then I would like for the licensee to be able to
extend the linkbutton, but WITHOUT access to my sourcecode.

So, if I create an HTTPModule, then how do I use it? Does it have to be in
place so as not to crash out my linkbutton? (That is kind of an odd question
I guess, but this is how I see MS CMS doing it.) If I have to put it in
place, then how can other developers extend it, without extending my source?

Also, any pointers on how to write and work with IHTTPModule would be
appreciated.

--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

Guest

[...]

Hi Dave,

please look at the following thread, I think this can help you
http://forums.asp.net/t/55127.aspx?PageIndex=2

David

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for the pointer... I have seen that thread before (many years ago)
but had never considered it. I forgot that it used the httphandler.

I will read through it... however, does this allow extension of the code via
new events in global.asax? (What I mean by new events... the code should
somehow obviously create the event, then global.asax should have the event
handler, apart from its own regular application / session events.)

--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.