would like feedback on slideshow...

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by George Ziniewicz, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I am somewhat new to javascript and css (~1 month), I recently put up a
    slideshow to display some pics I recently took at Rocky Point Mexico:

    http://zintel.com/picsel.html

    Besides the shameless self-promotion, I am always looking for some good
    ideas re photography and the web, bug reports, etc. I started out using
    plain vanilla javascript, but it wouldn't run on Netscape, it currently only
    seems to work (and not all that reliably!) on IE 5.5 so I apologize to users
    of other browsers.

    I am about to do a major rewrite of the page since it got a bit klugey
    with some recent additions (zoom/filters/randomization), so before I do that
    I thought I'd ask for some input.

    ToDo:
    other browser compliance
    other blend transitions (unfortunately mostly MS only)
    xhtml compliance
    silent preloads (while you watch)
    non-repeating and scrollable randomizer
    drop shadow

    possible:
    captions
    right-click capture

    Bugs:
    can't manually input zoom value
    blend transitions sometimes causes a strange horizontal jog (when
    images were <center>'d)
    occasional view of PG image in G rating
    1st image sometimes fails

    And if anyone can tell me how to grab a dir in javascript so I wouldn't
    have to hard-wire the filenames in an array...ideally I'd like to just refer
    to a dirpath and let some function fogure out what is there, an applet
    perhaps...

    thanks,
    zin

    -- http://www.zintel.com