wxPython + Installer + Registry Problem

achrist

I've just installed the new wxPython, version 2.4.2.4 (under
Windows NT, sp6, python 2.3.2) and tried to create an exe
using the McMillan installer. Seems to be a new problem ...

I've got the 5b5 version of the McMillan installer. It crashes
around line 161 of its mf.py module, where it is analyzing my
program and pulling information out of the Windows registry.
It looks in

HKLM\Software\Python\PythonCore\2.3\Modules\wxPython

for information on wxPython, and it finds a version string,
i.e. "2.4.2.4".

Regrettably, it tries to unpack this string into a 3-way tuple
of (suffix, mode, typ). Fails grievously and dies.

When I look at the few entries in this part of the registry, I
don't see any other modules registered with data that I might
use to infer good values for a (suffix, mode, typ) tuple for
wxPython or how they should be stored.

Furthermore, when I see the substantial dearth of entries in
this section of the registry, even though I am a promiscuous
installer of modules, I guess that registration there is
optional, which means seldom done and rarely attempted. When
I just fasten up my courage and delete the key

HKLM\Software\Python\PythonCore\2.3\Modules\wxPython

The installer builds for me ok.

TIA for any explanations if this is good or bad or of what's
really going on under the hood.

Al